Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Lemon, current state of US auto mfg
By The Dude

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My daily driver, inherited at 89k; now 120k. Constant electrical problems. Wheel/steering shimmy. Tailgate cables broke. Electrical: tach and fuel gauge occasionally misread, reduced engine power comes on on cold starts and not as over-heating protection; AC comes on in recirc mode, rear door locks only work manually and they keep blowing unlock relay fuse, difficulty starting-starter may be wearing out. Lumbar support is terrible for drives over an hour, but who can afford to drive that far anyway? Ring and pinion gears needed replacement at 115K. I've read tons of problem blogs regarding electronics. Is this truck a lemon?

Locking boxes and tailgate. Versatile vehicle and interesting concept. Engine power.

Too large, bulky, rear visibility, mpg. Here's some advice GM:Fix the problems you know you have. General electrical sys, e-brake; build reliable vehicles and you won't have to worry about foreign comp. Dealers can then make money on sales, not constant repairs and your consumers can believe in you.

Most Awesome Truck!
By melissa

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck so much. It has been 100% reliable and for a V-8 gets excellent gas mileage. It still looks and drives like brand new! This has been the best drive of my life and I've owned 4 other Chevy trucks(they were great, too), a Ford and 2 Dodges (didn't keep them long!)This is by far the coolest looking Avalanche out there-my opinion. scores a solid 10!

XM radio and sport leather seats and I love the panels that close up the bed and love the fold down partition that opens from the passenger area to the tail gate! also, love the Bose sound system! Rock on.

Wish the seats in front reclined fully but it's not an issue, just the only tiny thing I could thing that would be more cool to have. Oh...Bluetooth would be really great and a way to plug in my ipod...which is probably already in the works for the 2008 models, right?

Dream truck
By volnole

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

From the minute I first saw an advertisement for an Avalanche, I knew it would be my next vehicle. It has never disappointed me in the four years I've had it. On long trips it is absolutely ideal, with plenty of room for luggage as well as our three dogs. The ride is smooth, leg room is plentiful, and it handles like a luxury car. I would recommend buying an Avalanche to anyone who's ever thought of getting a large SUV.

Light-sensitive mirrors. Convertibility to a more-than-full- size truck. Lumbar adjustment. Wide view in peripheral vision. Temp gauge on rear-view mirror

Running boards as standard on all trucks

I almost love it
By Jeff Martin

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this vehicle greatly. My biggest negative was the average in- town gas mileage of 12.5mpg with the 5.3liter engine. Had I known that ahead of time I would have bought the 2500 model with the 8.1 liter which gets almost the same mileage with 50% more horsepower and tons more torque. The body integrity is about what you expect from Chevrolet. When it falls off you can put it back on, if you can find it. I don't know of any other truck in the maketplace I'd rather have so when I buy again I look at the Avalanche first.

Looks, practicality, and reliablity

Tighter and quieter chasis, improve body integrity.

Best Truck Ever!
By Andrew

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 Avalanche. It is the Northface Package with the cool grey leather and the grey metallic paint. My truck has everything and I bought a superchip and programed it. Also I put some nice tires on the stock rims, looks sweet. Also I chromed all the stock stuff out. For example, the back Chevy letters bought on ebay. MPG is pretty good in city, stays around 14, and highway about 19. The chip seems to help with my MPG.

Everything