2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Would Be Great If It Worked!
By Lindsey on 01/07/09 18:50 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is absolutely an awsome vehicle, when it works. Bought it used with 75,000kms, had a few problems with it not starting in -15C the first winter but overall it ran good. Last year we started having issues, we bought it for $26,000 and we've put $18,000 back into it in maintenance ($8,000 in the last 6 months) . We can't get it running long enough to sell it. Had the entire front end torn apart a few times but no one can find the problem.

My Z66-No Problems/No issues
By David on 10/29/08 02:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was/is a Godsend. We purchased it as a promotion present for me when I became a police lieutenant. Little did we know that we would end up living in it when I became disabled in 2004. We have towed a 28 ft travel trailer from New Mexico to Florida then to Oregon then back to Florida and finally settled down in Oregon. It currently has 128322 miles, most of those occurred by 2006,(2 years). It has not spent one day in the shop due to a breakdown or malfunction. A few things had to be addressed during maintenance (like minor recalls) but so far we have been and are thrilled with it.

Great Investment!
By tarjac on 08/25/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased new and have never regretted it! We wanted the bench seat and the only way to get it was to buy a stripped version - ours has no options at all, but it's got everything we really need, and then some. Power locks & windows, A/C, cruise, CD. The bed & midgate get used regularly for everything from furniture to lumber to yard projects. We have had "0" mechanical problems. Now that gas is so high, better mileage would be great, but still there is no better all around family vehicle.

Lemon, current state of US auto mfg
By The Dude on 04/03/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My daily driver, inherited at 89k; now 120k. Constant electrical problems. Wheel/steering shimmy. Tailgate cables broke. Electrical: tach and fuel gauge occasionally misread, reduced engine power comes on on cold starts and not as over-heating protection; AC comes on in recirc mode, rear door locks only work manually and they keep blowing unlock relay fuse, difficulty starting-starter may be wearing out. Lumbar support is terrible for drives over an hour, but who can afford to drive that far anyway? Ring and pinion gears needed replacement at 115K. I've read tons of problem blogs regarding electronics. Is this truck a lemon?

Most Awesome Truck!
By melissa on 10/18/07 11:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck so much. It has been 100% reliable and for a V-8 gets excellent gas mileage. It still looks and drives like brand new! This has been the best drive of my life and I've owned 4 other Chevy trucks(they were great, too), a Ford and 2 Dodges (didn't keep them long!)This is by far the coolest looking Avalanche out there-my opinion. scores a solid 10!

Dream truck
By volnole on 07/18/07 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

From the minute I first saw an advertisement for an Avalanche, I knew it would be my next vehicle. It has never disappointed me in the four years I've had it. On long trips it is absolutely ideal, with plenty of room for luggage as well as our three dogs. The ride is smooth, leg room is plentiful, and it handles like a luxury car. I would recommend buying an Avalanche to anyone who's ever thought of getting a large SUV.

I almost love it
By Jeff Martin on 04/22/07 22:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this vehicle greatly. My biggest negative was the average in- town gas mileage of 12.5mpg with the 5.3liter engine. Had I known that ahead of time I would have bought the 2500 model with the 8.1 liter which gets almost the same mileage with 50% more horsepower and tons more torque. The body integrity is about what you expect from Chevrolet. When it falls off you can put it back on, if you can find it. I don't know of any other truck in the maketplace I'd rather have so when I buy again I look at the Avalanche first.

Best Truck Ever!
By Andrew on 04/10/07 08:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 2003 Avalanche. It is the Northface Package with the cool grey leather and the grey metallic paint. My truck has everything and I bought a superchip and programed it. Also I put some nice tires on the stock rims, looks sweet. Also I chromed all the stock stuff out. For example, the back Chevy letters bought on ebay. MPG is pretty good in city, stays around 14, and highway about 19. The chip seems to help with my MPG.

Comales
By COMALES on 03/29/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I never wanted an Avalanche but when I saw it in the lot, I just had to have it. Ever since, I never regret buying an Avalanche, it's never let me down, on the road and on the beach. Family owns Ford trucks but I'm representing Chevy.

6 On One, Half a Dozen On The Other
By sbddmd1 on 03/14/07 09:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love the versatility of the bed and backseats, came in handy many times. Very comfortable ride.