Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Love the Avalanche but last 10,000 miles has been difficult!
By bill4516

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best of both worlds. An SUV with the ability to haul stuff that you would not want in the back of your SUV. I 've hauled trees, plants, bags of fertilizer, and rocks.I own a 2003 Z66 with the cladding on the sides. At about the 100,000 mile mark the wheels just fell off. Not literally of course but it seemed that little stuff was going wrong all the time. My water pump went out, then my CD player, then my dash board lights, then the ever popular popping noise in the front end when you turn at slow speeds. Now I have a noise by my glovebox that sounds like someone dropping BB's on a tile floor over an over again. Still waiting on a fix for the popping noise. I still like it.

Favorite Features

Ride is very nice

Suggested Improvements

Noisey dashboard. too many pops and squeeks.

No Problems / Perfect for us
By Paul H.

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this vehilce since new and used it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer extensively; a boat; & a U Haul Trailer. It has been perfect for this and has never given us a moments concern or worry. Without a doubt the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned - carried building materials; Christmas trees; helped my daughter's family move from Florida to Georgia including putting the ride-on mover on the truck bed with no problems. We have now done over 125k miles and I am still on the original brakes. We had one recurring warranty issue with the front steering 'rattling' but this was fixed by Chevrolet on the 2nd review.

Favorite Features

Versatility of the vehicle layout. Just like a Tahoe / Suburban inside with availability of 8' x 4' bed with center gate down. Powerful engine easily able to tow boat and trailer with confidence

Suggested Improvements

60/40 mid gate would have been nice - but back seats swabs are 60/40 which has been good enough for us.

Down Hill
By jack

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my avalanche in june of 2003 at 2 years old the transmission went out and it doesn't jet out like it used to. Then it leaks water inside because it got hailed on and now its messed up so i think it might have shorted my electrical system because my airbag light came on. Then my passenger window recently went out so.

Favorite Features

sits up high

Suggested Improvements

powertrain

No complaints yet
By kingsso

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is doing well thus far. It turns a lot of heads, beautiful truck.

Favorite Features

Leather interior and 6 disc cd player

Suggested Improvements

better rubber gaskets on bed covers

My Z66-No Problems/No issues
By David

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was/is a Godsend. We purchased it as a promotion present for me when I became a police lieutenant. Little did we know that we would end up living in it when I became disabled in 2004. We have towed a 28 ft travel trailer from New Mexico to Florida then to Oregon then back to Florida and finally settled down in Oregon. It currently has 128322 miles, most of those occurred by 2006,(2 years). It has not spent one day in the shop due to a breakdown or malfunction. A few things had to be addressed during maintenance (like minor recalls) but so far we have been and are thrilled with it.

Favorite Features

Roomy cab, comfortable seating up front, able to lay down in the back, Bose speaker system. User friendly exterior features, i.e.-handles and step when climbing into the bed of the truck and locking storage compartments.

Suggested Improvements

I have found that in certain situations, I would like to have had a 60/40 center drop gate, in order to carry long items and still have rear seating also a little more room in which to recline. Our rear stereo feature broke down the first year, so a more durable system there would have been nice.