2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Love the Avalanche but last 10,000 miles has been difficult!
By bill4516 on 09/29/11 03:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best of both worlds. An SUV with the ability to haul stuff that you would not want in the back of your SUV. I 've hauled trees, plants, bags of fertilizer, and rocks.I own a 2003 Z66 with the cladding on the sides. At about the 100,000 mile mark the wheels just fell off. Not literally of course but it seemed that little stuff was going wrong all the time. My water pump went out, then my CD player, then my dash board lights, then the ever popular popping noise in the front end when you turn at slow speeds. Now I have a noise by my glovebox that sounds like someone dropping BB's on a tile floor over an over again. Still waiting on a fix for the popping noise. I still like it.

No Problems / Perfect for us
By Paul H. on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this vehilce since new and used it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer extensively; a boat; & a U Haul Trailer. It has been perfect for this and has never given us a moments concern or worry. Without a doubt the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned - carried building materials; Christmas trees; helped my daughter's family move from Florida to Georgia including putting the ride-on mover on the truck bed with no problems. We have now done over 125k miles and I am still on the original brakes. We had one recurring warranty issue with the front steering 'rattling' but this was fixed by Chevrolet on the 2nd review.

Down Hill
By jack on 10/11/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my avalanche in june of 2003 at 2 years old the transmission went out and it doesn't jet out like it used to. Then it leaks water inside because it got hailed on and now its messed up so i think it might have shorted my electrical system because my airbag light came on. Then my passenger window recently went out so.

No complaints yet
By kingsso on 04/24/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is doing well thus far. It turns a lot of heads, beautiful truck.

My Z66-No Problems/No issues
By David on 10/29/08 02:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle was/is a Godsend. We purchased it as a promotion present for me when I became a police lieutenant. Little did we know that we would end up living in it when I became disabled in 2004. We have towed a 28 ft travel trailer from New Mexico to Florida then to Oregon then back to Florida and finally settled down in Oregon. It currently has 128322 miles, most of those occurred by 2006,(2 years). It has not spent one day in the shop due to a breakdown or malfunction. A few things had to be addressed during maintenance (like minor recalls) but so far we have been and are thrilled with it.

Great Investment!
By tarjac on 08/25/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased new and have never regretted it! We wanted the bench seat and the only way to get it was to buy a stripped version - ours has no options at all, but it's got everything we really need, and then some. Power locks & windows, A/C, cruise, CD. The bed & midgate get used regularly for everything from furniture to lumber to yard projects. We have had "0" mechanical problems. Now that gas is so high, better mileage would be great, but still there is no better all around family vehicle.

Lemon, current state of US auto mfg
By The Dude on 04/03/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My daily driver, inherited at 89k; now 120k. Constant electrical problems. Wheel/steering shimmy. Tailgate cables broke. Electrical: tach and fuel gauge occasionally misread, reduced engine power comes on on cold starts and not as over-heating protection; AC comes on in recirc mode, rear door locks only work manually and they keep blowing unlock relay fuse, difficulty starting-starter may be wearing out. Lumbar support is terrible for drives over an hour, but who can afford to drive that far anyway? Ring and pinion gears needed replacement at 115K. I've read tons of problem blogs regarding electronics. Is this truck a lemon?

Dream truck
By volnole on 07/18/07 11:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

From the minute I first saw an advertisement for an Avalanche, I knew it would be my next vehicle. It has never disappointed me in the four years I've had it. On long trips it is absolutely ideal, with plenty of room for luggage as well as our three dogs. The ride is smooth, leg room is plentiful, and it handles like a luxury car. I would recommend buying an Avalanche to anyone who's ever thought of getting a large SUV.

Just Perfect
By Dave on 11/09/06 09:15 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always loved 4-door pick up trucks and I was for 3 years the proud owner of an Explorer Sport Trac but had been looking to replace it with a bigger more comfortable truck so I could feel more secure on the heavy traffic of the I-10. The Avalanche was the obvious answer. Better comfort ride, stronger transmission and more luxurious than the sport trac and actually has the same fuel economy as my old truck. I bought it used but it rides just as new.

'03 Avalanche
By dave711 on 10/27/06 16:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Never had it back to dealer for anything. Change the oil and put in gas and go. Very smooth and quiet ride along with the largest trunk of any vehicle ever made. The heated leather seats are very comfortable and great for long drives. Definitely the ultimate utility vehicle.