Used 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Love the Avalanche but last 10,000 miles has been difficult!
By bill4516

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best of both worlds. An SUV with the ability to haul stuff that you would not want in the back of your SUV. I 've hauled trees, plants, bags of fertilizer, and rocks.I own a 2003 Z66 with the cladding on the sides. At about the 100,000 mile mark the wheels just fell off. Not literally of course but it seemed that little stuff was going wrong all the time. My water pump went out, then my CD player, then my dash board lights, then the ever popular popping noise in the front end when you turn at slow speeds. Now I have a noise by my glovebox that sounds like someone dropping BB's on a tile floor over an over again. Still waiting on a fix for the popping noise. I still like it.

Ride is very nice

Noisey dashboard. too many pops and squeeks.

Exalant Ride
By bobjohn1

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. Ive had all three American made trucks and have never had a truck like this. Its well balanced and gets around better in ice, snow, and mud like no other half ton 4x4 Ive ever been in. The highway ride is unmatched. None of the other trucks seats feel like these. It hasnt given me any troubles. Its got 114 k miles on it and I get 18 mpg on the highway. Show me another 4x4 that does that! All three of my kids fit comfortably and they are all teens. My oldest is almost 5'6" tall.

The ride and seat comfort are above expectations, and the gas millage astounded me.

The trannys are a little week but stepping it up to the 4L80 would fix that.

No Problems / Perfect for us
By Paul H.

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this vehilce since new and used it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer extensively; a boat; & a U Haul Trailer. It has been perfect for this and has never given us a moments concern or worry. Without a doubt the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned - carried building materials; Christmas trees; helped my daughter's family move from Florida to Georgia including putting the ride-on mover on the truck bed with no problems. We have now done over 125k miles and I am still on the original brakes. We had one recurring warranty issue with the front steering 'rattling' but this was fixed by Chevrolet on the 2nd review.

Versatility of the vehicle layout. Just like a Tahoe / Suburban inside with availability of 8' x 4' bed with center gate down. Powerful engine easily able to tow boat and trailer with confidence

60/40 mid gate would have been nice - but back seats swabs are 60/40 which has been good enough for us.

Happy with my Truck
By Michael

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 133,000 on it and I love it. I would buy another avalanche in a heartbeat. I have used it for hauling a trailer, used the midgate several times to haul wood for projects.

Side tool boxes and Midgate versatility

Solid family truck!!
By edwardstd

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck and family vehicle all in one. I have owned suburbans and this allows the large quad seating area for the family when needed and then haul dirt with having to worry about destroying the interior. Mission accomplished for multi purpose vehicle. Performance is great as I tow boats and trailers regularly. 3/4 ton would have been nice at times but for the average person not needed, probably why they discontinued the option.

Comfort and features of a suburban front half with the functionality of pickup truck bed.

Not sure why they have not been able to make the midgate window power operated yet!!!! Until then I have no reason to upgrade.