2003 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Love the Avalanche but last 10,000 miles has been difficult!
By bill4516 on 09/29/11 03:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is the best of both worlds. An SUV with the ability to haul stuff that you would not want in the back of your SUV. I 've hauled trees, plants, bags of fertilizer, and rocks.I own a 2003 Z66 with the cladding on the sides. At about the 100,000 mile mark the wheels just fell off. Not literally of course but it seemed that little stuff was going wrong all the time. My water pump went out, then my CD player, then my dash board lights, then the ever popular popping noise in the front end when you turn at slow speeds. Now I have a noise by my glovebox that sounds like someone dropping BB's on a tile floor over an over again. Still waiting on a fix for the popping noise. I still like it.

Exalant Ride
By bobjohn1 on 05/15/11 13:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. Ive had all three American made trucks and have never had a truck like this. Its well balanced and gets around better in ice, snow, and mud like no other half ton 4x4 Ive ever been in. The highway ride is unmatched. None of the other trucks seats feel like these. It hasnt given me any troubles. Its got 114 k miles on it and I get 18 mpg on the highway. Show me another 4x4 that does that! All three of my kids fit comfortably and they are all teens. My oldest is almost 5'6" tall.

No Problems / Perfect for us
By Paul H. on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned this vehilce since new and used it to tow our 35' Travel Trailer extensively; a boat; & a U Haul Trailer. It has been perfect for this and has never given us a moments concern or worry. Without a doubt the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned - carried building materials; Christmas trees; helped my daughter's family move from Florida to Georgia including putting the ride-on mover on the truck bed with no problems. We have now done over 125k miles and I am still on the original brakes. We had one recurring warranty issue with the front steering 'rattling' but this was fixed by Chevrolet on the 2nd review.

Happy with my Truck
By Michael on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used with 133,000 on it and I love it. I would buy another avalanche in a heartbeat. I have used it for hauling a trailer, used the midgate several times to haul wood for projects.

Solid family truck!!
By edwardstd on 02/24/10 20:52 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck and family vehicle all in one. I have owned suburbans and this allows the large quad seating area for the family when needed and then haul dirt with having to worry about destroying the interior. Mission accomplished for multi purpose vehicle. Performance is great as I tow boats and trailers regularly. 3/4 ton would have been nice at times but for the average person not needed, probably why they discontinued the option.

questionable head lights
By CLARENCE WHITE on 02/15/10 07:50 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The top parking light housing are like a piece of candy. the inside clamp that you snap the light in breaks super easy. Also the main driving light has a silver cap on the inside housing that falls off from the inside and eventually blows the inside bulb out. i'm writing this because something has to be done because this is my third top light housing that broke. This is my first main light housing that broke.

Squeek ,Rattle and Barely Roll
By DBLD on 02/12/10 05:30 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Leather seats are very comfortable but heated seat on driver's side stoped working shortly after purchase. Interior squeaks and rattles all over!!! (dash,console,doors,etc.) MPG is horrible sticker said 12-16, this one gets 12.5 going down hill on the highway and that's on a good day!!Bed cover leaks like it's not even there!! Tranny and drive line pops,dangs and jerks carnival ride! I'm going bankrupt on fuel, trading for Ford or Dodge ASAP!!

Down Hill
By jack on 10/11/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my avalanche in june of 2003 at 2 years old the transmission went out and it doesn't jet out like it used to. Then it leaks water inside because it got hailed on and now its messed up so i think it might have shorted my electrical system because my airbag light came on. Then my passenger window recently went out so.

Most Functional Truck Made
By Biff on 08/28/09 08:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I gave up my 2001 Toyota Tacoma d-cab for a used Z-71 with 50,000 miles over 3 years ago. For a family of 5, the usability of the back seats is second to none. Where the Toyota 3.4L V6 screamed to tow my boat, the Avalanche handles it like nothing. The flexibility of the mid-gate is terrific. The bed tonneau panels are easy to remove and have remained water tight. The truck has a smooth ride on the road but can still perform off-road. Now I have 87,000 miles and only problem has been the rear power door locks have frozen up and need to be opened manually.

No complaints yet
By kingsso on 04/24/09 10:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is doing well thus far. It turns a lot of heads, beautiful truck.