Loving it more every day!
By snowbadger on
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
Safest truck you can drive! Gas mileage is the only drawback (I get about 13-14 MPG), but utility more than makes up for poor mileage. Tall vehicle. Strongly recommend step up bar. Conversion from SUV to truck is very easy. Ride is smooth whether on the road or rough terrain. 285HP engine has plenty of get up & go. Surprisingly good turning radius. Ingenious drainage system ensures water doesn't leak into the cockpit, even from the folding midgate. Took a while to get accustomed to the dimensions. A vehicle I liked when I bought it, & love more every time I get behind the wheel. Best purchase I've ever made & most fun I've ever had driving a vehicle.
Favorite Features
4WD switch on the fly works great in snow. The tent/airbed accessory (ask dealer is fun, a real eye catcher, & fits right into the truck bed. Very clever! Drainage holes in side bins allow you to use a bin as an ice-chest for beverages, etc. Great for tailgate parties!
Suggested Improvements
Proximity sensor/warning from the rear would be very helpful as back end is too high to see cars behind you when backing out of a parking spot. Offroad package (Z71 package) makes this disadvantage more noticeable.