Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Great Truck/SUV/
By bbear

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Avalanche for a year now. Great ride and comfort. Buttons for most things are fairly easy to find. Better ride than my old Tahoe was, and I put 175K on that one. 4WD works great in the mud and the sand. Tows like it doesn't have anything hooked on behind it. Great acceleration, and better brakes than my old Tahoe as well. Gas mileage is about what one could expect. I'm averaging about 17-18 MPG on the highway and less in town. Large fuel tank is a definite plus. Thinking of trading for a newer one, just to get a different color and some other options. Sound system is very nice.

Seat comfort, 4WD, and of course the ability to switch out the back end for more space.

Remote locking on the tailgate would be great.

Great Truck
By Harold Pittman

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Avalance. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it rides smoother than any other truck I know and having a weather-proof bed is great. I've pulled trailers and boats across country with no problem and it hasn't failed me yet. I think it is the most practical truck available, mostly because of the water-proof bed. The four wheel drive works great too, I've done some serious off- roading and haven't been stuck in a place I couldn't get out of with a little work.

As mentioned above, my favorite feature is the weather-proof bed and the ability to extend the bed into the back seat for extra long items. The smooth ride is incredible as well, better than any other four wheel drive pickup I've been in.

With any truck or SUV, the fuel economy could be better. I get a around 17 miles to the gallon on the highway and 15 in the city, but it's no worse than most trucks

AWESOME VECIHLE !
By ROBERT MICHAEL

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Owned since new. Awesome power and it manhandle's my 7,500 pound travel trailer. Smooth riding for a 3/4 ton truck and sticks to the road like glue. Smooth shifting tranny, not the clunky type in some of the other GM products. This BLOWS away Fords and Doge Ram . Toyota or the rest of Toy trucks need not apply for the job. Easily swallows and carries 30 sheets of half inch drywall 4x8. Then switchs back to a family carrier. Most dependable set of wheels ever. I would buy another in a heartbeat but not with the wimp like 5.3 liter engine. Even with the 4:10 rear it won't tow well on the long hills.

Number one is the smooth shifting tranny. Number two is the 8.1 liter engine has more torque and gets better milage than the 6 liter. Number 3 is the changeover for your dollar.

Some times the way the plastic parts join in extreme cold temps (interior) they make noise. Stock Mud-flaps.

02 Ride
By kmanion

Good all around vehicle. Excellent
work vehicle.

Love the Style!
By Lou Cole

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Drives like your always on a new road.
Great to change from six passenger to
hauling cement in two minutes.

No outside noise.