Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Avalanche
By erlejohng

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I've pulled all kinds of loads, travel trailers, cargo trailers, and car haulers with combined loads up to 19700 lbs and it has handled them with ease. My wife likes to drive it as it drives like a sub. It is also great in being able to carry six passengers and folds down real quickly to haul 25 sheets of plywood all enclosed. The tonneau cover storage bag is a joke. I had a stainless ladder rack built and built storage into it for the covers. I get about 11 mpg pulling trailers and up to 16 on the freeway empty. Had two troubles, a pressure switch had to be changed and the r. rear axle flange had to be tightened back up three times. If it was destroyed, I would buy another today.

I love my truck!
By Eli

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I always loved the style of Avalanche, and made it a goal to own one. Well, I finally own one and love love love it! I had a 95 Nissan Pathfinder before, and it was ok, but this is the most comfortable ride ever. It was worth every penny. Maintainance is a little pricey, but so is everything for the new vehicles. Chevy warranties are pretty good too.

The luxury for the price. Heated seats, leather, climate control, auto everything, and the sunroof.

The cladding is a little hard to maintain. Especially in the winter with the salt from the roads.

Great Vehicle
By Phisp

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle because my wife loved it, I did not like the way it looked and the fact it did not have a real full size bed. I now love it; the Z71 package is a must I can haul all my fire wood, take my wife and kids camping while towing the boat do some off roading and take it surf fishing easily.. No problems to speak of, GM hit a home run with the Avalanche. My buddies Nissan Titan feels about half as strong as my Avalanche and he has been through 2 rears and 5 long term visits to the dealer for service , Considering a Titan? buy the Avalanche.

Locking rear, storage, Performance

Mid gate should be split to allow one rear seat to be available.

Great for towing
By bbp2459

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck/SUV for towing & hauling...in style! Very comfortable seats. Having the ability to fold down the midgate gives a lot of versatility. Considering its towing capacity, it is also not so big that you can't park it easily.

Towing capacity, comfort, versatility.

Hybrid technology - the gas mileage is pretty miserable

2002 Red Avalanche
By DH

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. The longer I have it, the more I like it. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I can always pick up more people or cargo. It is very flexible to meet whatever demands you put onto it. The only downside it has is the fuel economy, but it is a big truck. The four wheel drive works great and it is very reliable. It rides very well, more like a luxury vehicle than a truck.

The midgate is great