Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Great Vehicle
By Phisp

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle because my wife loved it, I did not like the way it looked and the fact it did not have a real full size bed. I now love it; the Z71 package is a must I can haul all my fire wood, take my wife and kids camping while towing the boat do some off roading and take it surf fishing easily.. No problems to speak of, GM hit a home run with the Avalanche. My buddies Nissan Titan feels about half as strong as my Avalanche and he has been through 2 rears and 5 long term visits to the dealer for service , Considering a Titan? buy the Avalanche.

Favorite Features

Locking rear, storage, Performance

Suggested Improvements

Mid gate should be split to allow one rear seat to be available.

Great for towing
By bbp2459

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck/SUV for towing & hauling...in style! Very comfortable seats. Having the ability to fold down the midgate gives a lot of versatility. Considering its towing capacity, it is also not so big that you can't park it easily.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity, comfort, versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid technology - the gas mileage is pretty miserable

2002 Red Avalanche
By DH

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. The longer I have it, the more I like it. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I can always pick up more people or cargo. It is very flexible to meet whatever demands you put onto it. The only downside it has is the fuel economy, but it is a big truck. The four wheel drive works great and it is very reliable. It rides very well, more like a luxury vehicle than a truck.

Favorite Features

The midgate is great

Suggested Improvements

An in dash cd/mp3 player would be nice

Great Truck/SUV/
By bbear

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my Avalanche for a year now. Great ride and comfort. Buttons for most things are fairly easy to find. Better ride than my old Tahoe was, and I put 175K on that one. 4WD works great in the mud and the sand. Tows like it doesn't have anything hooked on behind it. Great acceleration, and better brakes than my old Tahoe as well. Gas mileage is about what one could expect. I'm averaging about 17-18 MPG on the highway and less in town. Large fuel tank is a definite plus. Thinking of trading for a newer one, just to get a different color and some other options. Sound system is very nice.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort, 4WD, and of course the ability to switch out the back end for more space.

Suggested Improvements

Remote locking on the tailgate would be great.

Great Truck
By Harold Pittman

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Avalance. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it rides smoother than any other truck I know and having a weather-proof bed is great. I've pulled trailers and boats across country with no problem and it hasn't failed me yet. I think it is the most practical truck available, mostly because of the water-proof bed. The four wheel drive works great too, I've done some serious off- roading and haven't been stuck in a place I couldn't get out of with a little work.

Favorite Features

As mentioned above, my favorite feature is the weather-proof bed and the ability to extend the bed into the back seat for extra long items. The smooth ride is incredible as well, better than any other four wheel drive pickup I've been in.

Suggested Improvements

With any truck or SUV, the fuel economy could be better. I get a around 17 miles to the gallon on the highway and 15 in the city, but it's no worse than most trucks