Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

A nice truck
By Stephen

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new and it has been very good. The fuel economy on the highway is about 19mpg. The truck has run flawlesly since day one. If I had to find one fault it is that the pistons are slightly noisy when cold for 20 or so seconds, but the engine runs so well otherwise it is easy to ignore that small shortcoming

I can carry five people, a load of wood in the rear and tow my 7200 lb. trailer and it pulls like a freight train. I have a 99 Vette and this engine is just as sweet. Drive one and you will see what I mean.

I would have liked more options available in 2002 (dvd player, directional lights in mirrors, etc) but I see the newer Avalanches have that covered.

Great Truck But Has Problems
By enforcer_2006

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche used. It is a 1500 Z-71 with 93K miles every option imaginable. I love the way it drives and is really good in snow and ice. The problems I am experiencing is the water pump, steering gear box, and Bilstein shocks have all just gone out at the same time!!! Talk about dumping some money into it all at once. Another problem is that when you drive the truck down the interstate and the wind is blowing, and it does not have to be blowing hard, you get blown all over the interstate. It is gets so bad that I actually take the long way to work using backroads when it gets windy. When I accelerate hard, I get a metalic sound coming from the engine and Chevy can't diagnose it.

The interior is great and the ride is really smooth.

Find out why the truck gets blown all over the road and what is wrong with the 5.3 liter engine making noises.

I've never had a problem.
By Psychpilot

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was very hesitant to buy this "hybrid" SUV/Pickup. I need a truck, but not all the time. The dealer made a great offer. I am very, very pleased with the Avalanche's performance and reliability. There are only two things I can nitpick about ... the fuel economy (which is the same for all pickups) and the big turning radius. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Lots of goodies for a pickup, like automatic climate control, automatic volume on the very good sound system, etc.

Can't think of a thing I would change, except to help it get better gas mileage. Maybe a hybrid, like Ford has done.

Kim's Avalanche
By Kim

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really enjoy my 2002 Avalache . It's a lot of fun! Very comfortable. Very big though. Its a beautiful design as I have running boards and to help older freinds in and out of truck. Cold days the seat warmers are GREAT! I love my burnt orange color and enjoy all the diversities in accomadates all my families different interests! The ONLY problem I have is I cannot get my 2 kayaks up onthe roof with the standard tie downs! My old van I could. I will shortly be purchase racks for my truck and that will solve that. I anxiously await the falling of the gas prices!! I LOVE my Avalanche! Sooo comfortable!

Heat warms , sun roof, back window that comes out, easy to handle, side pockets and the apperance of my truck turns heads! That's fun;)

The truck can suck gas up. I don't punch the gas pedal like I used to. It's great on the highway though. Tailgate I believe can be improved as the right pin seems to be rusty and that concerns me as well as the fog lights should have a tighter gasket to avoid leakage thru the lens!

Avalanche
By erlejohng

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I've pulled all kinds of loads, travel trailers, cargo trailers, and car haulers with combined loads up to 19700 lbs and it has handled them with ease. My wife likes to drive it as it drives like a sub. It is also great in being able to carry six passengers and folds down real quickly to haul 25 sheets of plywood all enclosed. The tonneau cover storage bag is a joke. I had a stainless ladder rack built and built storage into it for the covers. I get about 11 mpg pulling trailers and up to 16 on the freeway empty. Had two troubles, a pressure switch had to be changed and the r. rear axle flange had to be tightened back up three times. If it was destroyed, I would buy another today.