2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2002 Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Sort Reviews by

Versatility and Comfort
By jcrwv

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Gas prices aside, the 327 cid avalanche tows great, hauls great, and looks great. This vehicle is the real hybrid. Some ongoing issues with the A/C remain but not a significant negative as yet.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort, safety, versatility

Suggested Improvements

End caps on front seat rails knocked off easily -a/c compressor clutch may be an issue

More Than Satisfied
By Mike Noble

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche has proven to be everything that I expected. All of the cargo space is very useful, we can fit our 3 kids in back easily, it gives a very smooth ride, and the gas mileage is better than I had expected (16-17 religiously). The back seat is roomy enough for 3 adults to sit in.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, roomy storage, lots of cargo capabilities, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The cargo area can be tough to clean out after hauling any landscaping mulch, dirt, etc. You have to take out the mat to get it clean. The overhead taillight/back-up light can't be replaced at home (you will see almost none working on the road).

orboater's '02 2500 Avalanche
By orboater

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Use as a daily driver. It is a bit thirsty driving around town but not bad out on the highway considering the size of the engine. Bought to pull boat and am not a bit sorry. One great tow vehicle.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity of 12,000#

A nice truck
By Stephen

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new and it has been very good. The fuel economy on the highway is about 19mpg. The truck has run flawlesly since day one. If I had to find one fault it is that the pistons are slightly noisy when cold for 20 or so seconds, but the engine runs so well otherwise it is easy to ignore that small shortcoming

Favorite Features

I can carry five people, a load of wood in the rear and tow my 7200 lb. trailer and it pulls like a freight train. I have a 99 Vette and this engine is just as sweet. Drive one and you will see what I mean.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked more options available in 2002 (dvd player, directional lights in mirrors, etc) but I see the newer Avalanches have that covered.

Great Truck But Has Problems
By enforcer_2006

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche used. It is a 1500 Z-71 with 93K miles every option imaginable. I love the way it drives and is really good in snow and ice. The problems I am experiencing is the water pump, steering gear box, and Bilstein shocks have all just gone out at the same time!!! Talk about dumping some money into it all at once. Another problem is that when you drive the truck down the interstate and the wind is blowing, and it does not have to be blowing hard, you get blown all over the interstate. It is gets so bad that I actually take the long way to work using backroads when it gets windy. When I accelerate hard, I get a metalic sound coming from the engine and Chevy can't diagnose it.

Favorite Features

The interior is great and the ride is really smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Find out why the truck gets blown all over the road and what is wrong with the 5.3 liter engine making noises.

I've never had a problem.
By Psychpilot

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was very hesitant to buy this "hybrid" SUV/Pickup. I need a truck, but not all the time. The dealer made a great offer. I am very, very pleased with the Avalanche's performance and reliability. There are only two things I can nitpick about ... the fuel economy (which is the same for all pickups) and the big turning radius. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

Lots of goodies for a pickup, like automatic climate control, automatic volume on the very good sound system, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing I would change, except to help it get better gas mileage. Maybe a hybrid, like Ford has done.

Kim's Avalanche
By Kim

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really enjoy my 2002 Avalache . It's a lot of fun! Very comfortable. Very big though. Its a beautiful design as I have running boards and to help older freinds in and out of truck. Cold days the seat warmers are GREAT! I love my burnt orange color and enjoy all the diversities in accomadates all my families different interests! The ONLY problem I have is I cannot get my 2 kayaks up onthe roof with the standard tie downs! My old van I could. I will shortly be purchase racks for my truck and that will solve that. I anxiously await the falling of the gas prices!! I LOVE my Avalanche! Sooo comfortable!

Favorite Features

Heat warms , sun roof, back window that comes out, easy to handle, side pockets and the apperance of my truck turns heads! That's fun;)

Suggested Improvements

The truck can suck gas up. I don't punch the gas pedal like I used to. It's great on the highway though. Tailgate I believe can be improved as the right pin seems to be rusty and that concerns me as well as the fog lights should have a tighter gasket to avoid leakage thru the lens!

Avalanche
By erlejohng

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I've pulled all kinds of loads, travel trailers, cargo trailers, and car haulers with combined loads up to 19700 lbs and it has handled them with ease. My wife likes to drive it as it drives like a sub. It is also great in being able to carry six passengers and folds down real quickly to haul 25 sheets of plywood all enclosed. The tonneau cover storage bag is a joke. I had a stainless ladder rack built and built storage into it for the covers. I get about 11 mpg pulling trailers and up to 16 on the freeway empty. Had two troubles, a pressure switch had to be changed and the r. rear axle flange had to be tightened back up three times. If it was destroyed, I would buy another today.

I love my truck!
By Eli

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I always loved the style of Avalanche, and made it a goal to own one. Well, I finally own one and love love love it! I had a 95 Nissan Pathfinder before, and it was ok, but this is the most comfortable ride ever. It was worth every penny. Maintainance is a little pricey, but so is everything for the new vehicles. Chevy warranties are pretty good too.

Favorite Features

The luxury for the price. Heated seats, leather, climate control, auto everything, and the sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

The cladding is a little hard to maintain. Especially in the winter with the salt from the roads.

Great Vehicle
By Phisp

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle because my wife loved it, I did not like the way it looked and the fact it did not have a real full size bed. I now love it; the Z71 package is a must I can haul all my fire wood, take my wife and kids camping while towing the boat do some off roading and take it surf fishing easily.. No problems to speak of, GM hit a home run with the Avalanche. My buddies Nissan Titan feels about half as strong as my Avalanche and he has been through 2 rears and 5 long term visits to the dealer for service , Considering a Titan? buy the Avalanche.

Favorite Features

Locking rear, storage, Performance

Suggested Improvements

Mid gate should be split to allow one rear seat to be available.