2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Versatility and Comfort
By jcrwv on 05/18/06 23:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Gas prices aside, the 327 cid avalanche tows great, hauls great, and looks great. This vehicle is the real hybrid. Some ongoing issues with the A/C remain but not a significant negative as yet.

More Than Satisfied
By Mike Noble on 05/14/06 06:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche has proven to be everything that I expected. All of the cargo space is very useful, we can fit our 3 kids in back easily, it gives a very smooth ride, and the gas mileage is better than I had expected (16-17 religiously). The back seat is roomy enough for 3 adults to sit in.

orboater's '02 2500 Avalanche
By orboater on 05/10/06 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Use as a daily driver. It is a bit thirsty driving around town but not bad out on the highway considering the size of the engine. Bought to pull boat and am not a bit sorry. One great tow vehicle.

A nice truck
By Stephen on 04/10/06 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new and it has been very good. The fuel economy on the highway is about 19mpg. The truck has run flawlesly since day one. If I had to find one fault it is that the pistons are slightly noisy when cold for 20 or so seconds, but the engine runs so well otherwise it is easy to ignore that small shortcoming

Great Truck But Has Problems
By enforcer_2006 on 03/14/06 11:45 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Avalanche used. It is a 1500 Z-71 with 93K miles every option imaginable. I love the way it drives and is really good in snow and ice. The problems I am experiencing is the water pump, steering gear box, and Bilstein shocks have all just gone out at the same time!!! Talk about dumping some money into it all at once. Another problem is that when you drive the truck down the interstate and the wind is blowing, and it does not have to be blowing hard, you get blown all over the interstate. It is gets so bad that I actually take the long way to work using backroads when it gets windy. When I accelerate hard, I get a metalic sound coming from the engine and Chevy can't diagnose it.

I've never had a problem.
By Psychpilot on 02/22/06 18:30 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was very hesitant to buy this "hybrid" SUV/Pickup. I need a truck, but not all the time. The dealer made a great offer. I am very, very pleased with the Avalanche's performance and reliability. There are only two things I can nitpick about ... the fuel economy (which is the same for all pickups) and the big turning radius. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Kim's Avalanche
By Kim on 01/26/06 11:37 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really enjoy my 2002 Avalache . It's a lot of fun! Very comfortable. Very big though. Its a beautiful design as I have running boards and to help older freinds in and out of truck. Cold days the seat warmers are GREAT! I love my burnt orange color and enjoy all the diversities in accomadates all my families different interests! The ONLY problem I have is I cannot get my 2 kayaks up onthe roof with the standard tie downs! My old van I could. I will shortly be purchase racks for my truck and that will solve that. I anxiously await the falling of the gas prices!! I LOVE my Avalanche! Sooo comfortable!

Avalanche
By erlejohng on 01/10/06 15:58 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

I've pulled all kinds of loads, travel trailers, cargo trailers, and car haulers with combined loads up to 19700 lbs and it has handled them with ease. My wife likes to drive it as it drives like a sub. It is also great in being able to carry six passengers and folds down real quickly to haul 25 sheets of plywood all enclosed. The tonneau cover storage bag is a joke. I had a stainless ladder rack built and built storage into it for the covers. I get about 11 mpg pulling trailers and up to 16 on the freeway empty. Had two troubles, a pressure switch had to be changed and the r. rear axle flange had to be tightened back up three times. If it was destroyed, I would buy another today.

I love my truck!
By Eli on 12/17/05 16:09 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I always loved the style of Avalanche, and made it a goal to own one. Well, I finally own one and love love love it! I had a 95 Nissan Pathfinder before, and it was ok, but this is the most comfortable ride ever. It was worth every penny. Maintainance is a little pricey, but so is everything for the new vehicles. Chevy warranties are pretty good too.

Great Vehicle
By Phisp on 11/17/05 10:30 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle because my wife loved it, I did not like the way it looked and the fact it did not have a real full size bed. I now love it; the Z71 package is a must I can haul all my fire wood, take my wife and kids camping while towing the boat do some off roading and take it surf fishing easily.. No problems to speak of, GM hit a home run with the Avalanche. My buddies Nissan Titan feels about half as strong as my Avalanche and he has been through 2 rears and 5 long term visits to the dealer for service , Considering a Titan? buy the Avalanche.