Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Happy Sportsmen
By Happy Sportsman

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck to drive and work with. It tows an 6000 lbs boat with no issue. I can take the whole family with me on a Ski trip or outing without having to pack the luggage,skis, hockey,baseball,and soccer equipment on top of the kids or leave them in the bed for the elements to have their way with. I use the truck to get back and forth to my construction job and find the side boxes very useful for my smaller tools and the bed is great for all the heavy equipment, add to that the fact that you can lock everything up and secure it for the night all together with the alarm on is great. I do have a vibration in my back end that no mechanics seam to be able to find or explain.

Favorite Features

Cabin control, Seat adjustments and Midgate. My most favorite are the side step boards especially the ones on the rear bumper. These make access to the bed every day easy

Suggested Improvements

Split the mid gate to a 60/40 for multi purpose uses. Keep the bumper steps and don't take away the everyday convenience items, to make it more of an SUV. Most of us still use our trucks as trucks and what they were meant for. We just have families to bring with us now. This was a great concept.

Amazing Z71 Truck!!
By jharken

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has it all! It looks great and the ride is even better! The inside of the vehicle is well built and everything is within easy reach. Had only one problem with a CV joint but its a 7 year old truck stuff will break eventually. And the best part is I still get 16-18 miles a gallon with this giant!

Favorite Features

The body cladding and the hard bed cover!

Suggested Improvements

You know I just cant think of any.

Awesome Avalanche
By jrwjr99

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle although very fun to drive and extremely versatile, is one to keep in the garage until needed for work or play. Not the best communting vehicle because of the mileage. But all things being said this is a really fun truck to have if you have a family.

Favorite Features

Handling, drives like a Cadillac, and a tank.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage, even the newer ones are still very high, but this is a design flaw with all trucks.

1st vehicle it would hurt me to give up!
By truly

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that it would truly hurt to give up. I bought it new 184000 miles ago and its been great, Outside of normal maintaince, I had the rear locking differential replaced at 140000 miles. The versatility of the midgate makes it so I can haul 4 x 8 drywall with 12' long 2 by 4's on top of them, sticking between the front seats, all out of the weather. Its great for hauling the grocerys, moving a kid to college or taking 5 full sized adults on a trip. Towing is ok, ride and comfort is better than any car or minivan that I ever owned.

Favorite Features

Ride and comfort, midgate versatility, ability to haul adults in comfort

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, rear visibility

Would get another one
By Jim

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. I've carried a Harley in the back and pulled a 10K travel trailer through the mountains (not the same time). The plus side of the setup is your friends don't look at it as a truck when they move even though it has all the ability. The only gripe is the 8.1L engines oil consumption is high. One qt in 3K miles when new, three qts in 3K now. Chevy claimed in 2002 one qt in 100 miles was considered high anything less is acceptable. Big engine is great for towing, stomp on the pedal and she jumps even at 70mph. Down side is MPG 11 around town 14 on the highway at 75mph. I would replace with same truck smaller V8 but right now I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort front and back.

Suggested Improvements

Power back window instead of stow and go. We rarely open it.