Used 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
Love my Avalanche
By Frank C. on 12/27/07 22:58 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it new & now have 74,000 miles. I love this truck & would buy another. The major mechanicals; engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc., no problems, however, the rear axle bearings had to be replaced at one point, which is the only problem that I have had with the truck. Very reliable & can always count on it. Very comfortable & smooth for a truck. Very useful, like the midgate & the rubber lined bed.

2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500 4X4 8.1
By Larry Richard on 10/24/07 15:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best riding and driving vehicles I have ever owned. Awesome power and torque. Gas mileage is not bad for all the cubic inches you get. A good all around vehicle. I would definately buy another one.

Shaky Up front
By Buzdean on 09/11/07 05:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I have had very little problems. The only area I have had problems is the steering and front suspension. I have replaced wheel bearings (1) & steering shaft (3). Also, I have had to align the vehicle several times (4). The ride is good for me and I like the dry cargo area a lot.

Love my truck
By Z-71 on 07/01/07 12:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Avalanche has been a great vehicle. No problems at all. I love driving a truck that is so comfortable. We drive from VA to FL, about 11 hrs straight and get out with no discomfort. None my of vehicles get great fuel mileage, so that isn't a huge concern.

3/4 Ton Big Block is The Only Way to Go
By Robert Michael, Pa. on 12/18/06 19:47 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

The 3/4 ton with the big block is the only way to tow my heavy travel trailer across country. Much better towing with the 373 rear and Allision tranny than a small block 5.3 screaming with a 410 rear. Very flexible easily loading almost 30 sheets 1/2 drywall and closing the gate. Mileage is better with this 8.1 liter than my old 454. About 14-15 not towing and 11 with a 7000 pound trailer. I don't have to move over for the tractor trailers like you do with the small block. It is getting time to look at another Avalanche but I won't buy one with a small block. I love the truck but do not want a fancy toy truck with a 5.3 liter.

Load-up chezzy
By yourconfessions on 12/03/06 13:26 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I enjoy my Avalanche. I like the versitility and the only 2 things I'd change are the 3 slide panel leak and are not covered under any warranty although the sales people say they are. And the tail gate I'd make one that's double doored opens right and left. The drop gate is so traditional in trucks. Let's expand Chevy's horizons.

This is an awesome truck
By Burt Ribet on 11/29/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this truck about 80 miles/day. I love driving this truck. I used to drive my motorcycle to/from work. It is more fun to drive my truck. I now have 120,000 miles and it has only been in the shop once. The transmission oil pump exploded destroying the transmission at 91,160 miles, 1,160 miles off of my extended warranty.

Comfort and style
By vtfatdaddy on 10/19/06 16:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. It's ultra comfortable, even for several people on long rides (I drove two other adults and my two young sons in car seats on a 9 hour trip and no one complained.) I have the Z71 package, but it still rides much smoother than a truck, and because it sits a little lower I prefer it to the ride of my wife's Tahoe. I love the versatility of this truck. I can pack in my whole family and go buy anything I need at the Home Depot, or haul a load of wood or whatever I want. I love the look of the Avalanche, wonderfully odd styling stands out from the crowd. Haven't had any mechanical problems whatsoever with the truck. Interior is "no frils" but very functional.

Used Truck
By teak on 08/25/06 10:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2002 Avalanche a few months ago. I must say, WOW! I absolutely love it. Probably the most comfortable vehicle I have ever had. Thankfully the previous owner was very very nice to it. Great versatility for a full size truck. I absolutely am getting a newer Avalanche for my next vehicle. Don't believe what you read, this truck is absolutely great.

Chevy Avalance..greatest truck ever
By jaredville23 on 07/03/06 15:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Avalanche. It is the best truck out there. It may not have the biggest engine, but it makes up for it with versatility. It can do anything anywhere.