2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

2002 Avalanche Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:

Sort Reviews by

Avalanche owner review
By MassiveAvalanche

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since November of 2001. All i can say is this truck is fantastic. They have opened so many doors to the idea of having a truck. Its amazingly more pratical then an average truck, its powerful, and its so unique. Every pickup truck looks like every other pickup truck, apart from the grille. But the Avalanche has given a completely new look to a pickup truck. One that i find to be agressive (which in my opinion is AWESOME!) I have had no problems with it, and love it 100%. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Favorite Features

Definatly the plastic cladding. THe look really grows on you, and its extremely beneficial. No door dings, shopping cart dents, scratches from 4x4, etc. Also of course-- THe Midgate. That thing is fantastic!!! The truck is truly amazing.

Suggested Improvements

A passanger airbag cutoff switch would be nice so i could drive my son in the front with the midgate down and not worry about the airbag. I would also like the midgate to be able to fold down only 50% so i could seat maybe 1 person in the back and have half the midgate down for the long stuff.

2002 Avalanche 8.1 2500
By Gary Pfahler

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Have had the 8.1 2500 Avalanche since Sept. Nicest truck I have owned.

Favorite Features

Midgate,,,,8.1 V8

Suggested Improvements

Wider cargo box (to narrow for atv)

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Avalanche2002

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 2500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

Very powerful 2500 Avalanche with 8.1L vortec engine. 14 miles/gallon, very smooth ride, good pick up for an over 3 ton vehicle. very little sway on curves. strong runner, no complaints.

Favorite Features

ride height, seat comfort, engine power, versatility for cargo. carries the family, hauls cargo and tows the boat with a comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

power tailgate lock, mudflaps standard, split midgate, better stereo for the amount that I paid (should have a casseette deck too).

Great Truck!
By Dave123

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It is a monster... Just what I wanted... The flexibility with the ride and comfort... Lots of fun...

Favorite Features

Midgate Pickup to SUV...

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy... I know it is huge but... Still want better without sacrificing power...

Ya gotta love it
By rodebykr

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

In response to a March 2002 review, yes, my tailgate has opened on its own several times. The trick is to close it firmly & try to open before you move. If its tight, it will stay closed. If not, it will sound like you ran over something when it drops opens! I had a problem with water leaks in the 3-piece bed cover. The seals did not appear to be attached well & water sometimes poured in. Per the dealer, the seals are not factory installed, but are installed at some later time. To correct, the dealer first tried to reseat the seals. This wasn't a complete fix, so they borrowed a cover off another truck & I've had no problems since.

Favorite Features

I traded a 2002 Acura TL Type S because I needed more room (new baby!). This rides better than my Acura. Truck is full of neat ideas, like steps built into the bumper & side bins that double as a cooler. Sheer mass (in an accident, 5800+-lbs should beat just about anything). Onstar works!

Suggested Improvements

None

Avalanche 1500 2WD is truck luxury!
By lizzieann

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Finally, automakers took heed to consumers. No more borrowing hubby's F150. Went from a Celica to the Avi & eased my road rage. 13K miles & we're still happy. A few quirks that need to mentioned. Midgate gasket can leak if not installed correctly. Leaking only visible when back seats down, check for deformities. (Not covered by warranty, but dealer should work with you soon after purchase.) Side exterior body moulding held on by expanded, plastic clips & adhesive. Watch for loosening (Body moulding only covered 12K miles). Unreliable tailgate latch. Gate falls while driving after locking & pulling the handle. Even with the quirks, probably the best vehicle I have driven & owned.

Favorite Features

Flexibility. Open midgate & sunroof feels almost like a convertible. I haul my extra stuff in side storage units. Stay-dry bed is a great to store groceries & bags, leaving room for 6 in the cab. Plastic body moulding is easy to clean & helps prevent gravel dings from the dirt roads I drive on.

Suggested Improvements

Shorten Driver's visor on left just half inch raises it flush with windshield. Front bench seat drink holders hard to access. Put popout holdervbelow accessory jacks. Recall tailgate latches. Need Passenger tinting side mirror. For pete's sake, put locking gas cap/door on 31 gal rolling gas station!

feeling special
By mike s.

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

feel like a king in it, cant believe its as big as it is when you drive it, anybody not satisfied with the comfort, should not to get out of bed. may buy another (have two, his & hers) in a few years.

Favorite Features

you can ID an Avalanche from all the other plain jane boring vehicles, (Z71 = bad to the bone). PS I Always liked Swiss Army kives.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the price 10K, so less are on the road. who wants to run with the pack?

No Avalanche to fear here
By steven suess

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I like this vehicle so much that we are planning on trading our venture van in on a second avalanche. This has got to be the ultimate pic-up passenger combo ever built. I dont impress easily, but this truck is it.

Favorite Features

Does not ride ride like a conventional heavy 4 wheel drive pickup, comfort is definetly there. smooth ride, and plenty of ponies for the road. The versatility of this vehicle has combined work and paly into one package.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the dealerships, and help the consumer go factory direct, so as to rid the public of that freshly raped feeling, great truck poor way to get one.

The best SUV/Truck ever built!
By scherf.com

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Avalanche is truly a masterpiece. I drove with 75 mph on the Interstate through a snow storm with snow drifts and ice, etc. and this baby didn't slip once and it was just a dream to be the King of the Road. It is spacious inside and it drives like a big luxury cruiser. The styling is just awesome--it turns heads everywhere, literally. It's a little expensive but compared to other SUVs in its class it is one of the best values on the market.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, spaciousness of passenger cabin and all features incl. side-impact airbags. Exceptional ride!

Suggested Improvements

There is not much to improve besides perhaps using a little bit more quality-look interior gadgets, although the current ones look okay. And then it would be nice to have a power-operated conversion feature for the midgate, rear window, etc. instead of the manual conversion now.

This truck rocks!!
By jcrichie

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche Crew Cab 1500 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If you are looking for a great truck without the rough ride, this is the one for you. I have driven 4x4 trucks all of my adult life and I can honestly say I will never own one again. The Avalanche rides better than my wife's Xterra (by a large margin) but still gives you the feel of driving a truck. When they first came out I thought they looked awful, but the exterior has grown on me. Anyone who doesn't like the Avalanche obviously has never driven one.

Suggested Improvements

Hope they come out with a diesel model with the Allison tranny.