2002 Chevrolet Avalanche - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalanche model:
200k no problems
By mike on 02/06/10 11:57 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had a 2002 and put 200k on it b4 I sold it. Never had a problem other than a plugged sock in the fuel pump from dirty fuel. never rattled, squeaked. flexed. I towed the heck out of this truck and changed oil at 10k to 12k miles. after about 200k was using 1 qt in between changes. I now have a 2007 w/ 130 and it's even better.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Suzanne on 01/12/08 06:55 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My '02 Z66 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Room for kids, lumber, landscaping stuff. It stands out in the crowd with great lines and top shelf reliability. I have never had to put this vehicle in the shop! It's got 106k miles on it and I fully intend to drive it until it just won't go another mile. No, I will replace what ever breaks and give it to my soon to be 16 yr old. I love this truck.

Shaky Up front
By Buzdean on 09/11/07 05:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I have had very little problems. The only area I have had problems is the steering and front suspension. I have replaced wheel bearings (1) & steering shaft (3). Also, I have had to align the vehicle several times (4). The ride is good for me and I like the dry cargo area a lot.

This is an awesome truck
By Burt Ribet on 11/29/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drive this truck about 80 miles/day. I love driving this truck. I used to drive my motorcycle to/from work. It is more fun to drive my truck. I now have 120,000 miles and it has only been in the shop once. The transmission oil pump exploded destroying the transmission at 91,160 miles, 1,160 miles off of my extended warranty.

good but could be built better
By billyjcraw on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great utility and ride, but having multiple service problems. ABS, Tailgate cables,drive shaft U- Joints,steering wheel knocks, bed cover leaks. I'm not confident how long it will last.

Truck with the comfort of a car
By BucFan410 on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has all the comfort of a car with the durability of a truck. Bought with the intent to pull a boat. Plenty of cab room for a large family with plenty of room for storage and luggage. Great vehicle. Very impressed. Although gas prices have made it costly to fill, worth the comfort.

A winner overall, except for...........
By Magic27037 on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had to have the three truck bed top liners replaced because they leaked when I had the truck washed or when it rained. I read on the net that the early builts had a problem because they didn't seal everything as they should have when they built them...have no idea if that is true. I do know that GM took control after I called them because I couldn't get any satisfaction from the dealer I bought it from.The other dealer took action to try and resolve the leak problem. The original dealer just said that they never said the truck bed was "watertight", just water resistant....Dahhhhh I hope the problem is solved. The new panals are due in nexxt week.

try again chevrolet!!!
By winston on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

All though the 2002 Avalanche is an innovative design it is poorly designed from stem to stern. Specifically, head lamps that hold water/condensation,engine air vents that collect all sorts of debris,plastic side panels that will probably cause corrosion problems in thefuture, combo leather and cloth seats that are absolutely uncmfortable after 30to 45min of driving, a fold down bed extension system that leaks and a covered bed design that the chevy dealer says is water resistant, ie it leaks, yup you guessed it by luggage and golf clubs have gotten wet more than once. To sum it up Dont buy the avalanche, built like a rock and worth about as much!

ugly but no problems
By miles(((((c on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

my wife drives this truck to work and i use it whenever i have to pull a trailer or tote family around the outside plastic makes it ugly but the pulling power and comfort to drive make up for looks the only thing that iv found it has to put any effort into pulling is my 71 f100 and the 1500 lb car trailer other than that 17 inch tires are expensive im almost thru my 1st set pricing the next after45000 miles

The Beaste
By H. Pollak on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 4dr Crew Cab 2WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

What to say... When I forst saw the previews in '99 I was impressed. Now that I'm an owner, I'm even more impressed. Vary little body role, great get up and go, I get anywhere from 18-21 MPG pretty regularly. Though I have to say I have made some modifications. Not only is it a big vehical it drives like one. Parking is no problem. I'm used to larger trucks. the only area I have a problem with is being able to see out the rear end. It has its challenges. Overall, best bang for the buck. Most versitle truck I have ever owned and I've owned many.

1 2 3 4 5 next »