Used 2005 Chevrolet Astro Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Does Well for what it was designed for
By Al

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Okay, so I have only had this van for a few months, but I have had experience with other Astros, as well as other brands for comparision. For what the Astro was designed for it does it well. It's not overly stylish, but it is very funtional. Has adequate power delivery, although not refined. Handles like a van, not a BMW. Rides like a truck, not a Buick, but it will haul people and trailers. It will also get decent fuel mileage. Makes a great work truck and can take the abush and punish usually associated with work trucks.

Favorite Features

High ride, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

None since this van is now out of production, although it would be nice to see something in this size range come back.

Best van for our needs
By claudia palamar

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Astro we have owned. Currently we tow a 26.5ft travel trailer through the midwest and have experienced no problems. One must drive responsibly and not expect to break any speed records.

Favorite Features

Interior design cabin and cargo area. Fun to drive especially the height. This allows driver to see problems before most pick up and auto drivers. Towing ability.

Suggested Improvements

More foot room in cabin area.

Second Astro Owned
By jjreeves9752@charter

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Astro. The first I drove 230,000 miles with little maintenance. This is longer but handles nicely I put Mogg idler arms on the 1991 that greatly improved the steering and handling. I plan to do it on the 2005 in a year or so. I now have 40000 miles on the 2005. I drive these vans from SC to Yellowstone Natl. Park and on to Phoenix and back. I pull a midsized bass boat for short 20 or 50 trips. We especially like the fold down bench seats for the second and third row seats. We throw coats and etc. over the first folded down bench. I have driven Toyota vans but this Astro will outdrive it hands down with a lot of hauling space.

Favorite Features

Fold down benches to haul flat coats and etc on. A 4.3 v6 engine that will run 90 mph on the highway very easily.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage of course. The idler steering needs after factory update with the Mogg Idler Arms and Sensor Shocks that that really give the Astro a good ride and handling ability.

Only one with a full frame
By oldmrjim

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Long term experience very good. Holds up very well. Built like a tank. Has steel reinforcement behind plastic bumpers. Only item replaced: Alternator.

Favorite Features

No left door to worry about; rear door (s) design; full frame

Suggested Improvements

Light under hood; switch for rear light; better engine layout, more leg room. There is a definite requirement for a TRUCK type van, not a passenger car converted into a "van" which is nothing more than a glorified station wagon.

Best mid-sized van ever
By PETER

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Astro that I have owned in 9 years, and each one has been better the the last. I averaged about 90,000 to 100,000 miles on the last three and already have 1600 on the 2005 Astro. I love it.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights on at dusk, door lock/unlock with the transmission shifter, back seat audio port, new seat belts in front, overhead information center.

Suggested Improvements

GM has discontinued the Astro, so there will be no 2006. I feel this is a bad move on their part.