2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Does Well for what it was designed for
By Al on 06/03/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Okay, so I have only had this van for a few months, but I have had experience with other Astros, as well as other brands for comparision. For what the Astro was designed for it does it well. It's not overly stylish, but it is very funtional. Has adequate power delivery, although not refined. Handles like a van, not a BMW. Rides like a truck, not a Buick, but it will haul people and trailers. It will also get decent fuel mileage. Makes a great work truck and can take the abush and punish usually associated with work trucks.

Best van for our needs
By claudia palamar on 07/22/07 13:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Astro we have owned. Currently we tow a 26.5ft travel trailer through the midwest and have experienced no problems. One must drive responsibly and not expect to break any speed records.

An "unknown" reliable minivan
By goofster on 07/09/07 22:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this vehicle use in Jan 2006. Surprisingly this vehicle's build quality has improved drastically. No squeaks and rattles to date compared to other friends' older astro vans. Improved braking and quiet interior. 4 wheel disc brakes setup was taken from chevy/gmc truck division. It possess impressive stopping power. Fuel mileage is not bad, getting 21mpg on the highway. Rear A/C and rear heat are awesome. Trunk space is ample for those long trips. Leg room in all rows are very good, compare to other minivans. Power is good. No problems to date.

Second Astro Owned
By jjreeves9752@charter on 04/19/07 11:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Astro. The first I drove 230,000 miles with little maintenance. This is longer but handles nicely I put Mogg idler arms on the 1991 that greatly improved the steering and handling. I plan to do it on the 2005 in a year or so. I now have 40000 miles on the 2005. I drive these vans from SC to Yellowstone Natl. Park and on to Phoenix and back. I pull a midsized bass boat for short 20 or 50 trips. We especially like the fold down bench seats for the second and third row seats. We throw coats and etc. over the first folded down bench. I have driven Toyota vans but this Astro will outdrive it hands down with a lot of hauling space.

2005 Astro AWD LS
By Gin on 11/18/06 16:16 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Been pretty reliable so far. The brakes on this vehicle are awesome ( design was borrowed from their truck line 4 wheel discs) I'm 6'3 with long legs and this is the only vehicle that I can actually sit in without hitting my knees. This also includes the 3rd row seats. I've tried a lot of vehicles. Rear heat and A/C is effective. With a 8 seats filled, cargo room is still ample for that trip to L.A. I don't have have the towing gears, so I get with AWD 15 city and 21 highway. Power is as strong as any other minivan out there. Ride is a bit stiff. AWD helps with handling corners and different road terrain. GM has improved interior sound levels and rattles compared to prior years.

Chris Craft Tow Toy
By DorothyJ's. LT AWD on 11/18/05 14:02 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very dependable, very low maintenance, so comfortable to drive, great for road trips, pulls the boat like a toy

Only one with a full frame
By oldmrjim on 10/31/05 01:53 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Long term experience very good. Holds up very well. Built like a tank. Has steel reinforcement behind plastic bumpers. Only item replaced: Alternator.

Best mid-sized van ever
By PETER on 08/07/05 15:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Astro that I have owned in 9 years, and each one has been better the the last. I averaged about 90,000 to 100,000 miles on the last three and already have 1600 on the 2005 Astro. I love it.

Astro Van
By b veitch on 03/21/05 20:22 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I own and show dogs. The Astro van is perfect size for transporting dogs and crates. Crates are easily stacked for the smaller breeds. I have had no problems with this van.

Strong Player in a small package
By Tom W. on 02/08/05 08:45 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was pleasantly pleased with the towing ability, with a 21' Sports Boat. The 4.3 liter engine seems bullet-proof. I would bet it would take an additional $ 15,000.00 worth of vehicle to do what the Astro does. The style seems current, sure the design is dated. The engineering is still proven, basic, simple and reliable. Fuel economy is better than expected. Just a strong little work horse.