Used 2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Does Well for what it was designed for
By Al

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Okay, so I have only had this van for a few months, but I have had experience with other Astros, as well as other brands for comparision. For what the Astro was designed for it does it well. It's not overly stylish, but it is very funtional. Has adequate power delivery, although not refined. Handles like a van, not a BMW. Rides like a truck, not a Buick, but it will haul people and trailers. It will also get decent fuel mileage. Makes a great work truck and can take the abush and punish usually associated with work trucks.

Favorite Features

High ride, keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

None since this van is now out of production, although it would be nice to see something in this size range come back.

Best van for our needs
By claudia palamar

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Astro we have owned. Currently we tow a 26.5ft travel trailer through the midwest and have experienced no problems. One must drive responsibly and not expect to break any speed records.

Favorite Features

Interior design cabin and cargo area. Fun to drive especially the height. This allows driver to see problems before most pick up and auto drivers. Towing ability.

Suggested Improvements

More foot room in cabin area.

An "unknown" reliable minivan
By goofster

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this vehicle use in Jan 2006. Surprisingly this vehicle's build quality has improved drastically. No squeaks and rattles to date compared to other friends' older astro vans. Improved braking and quiet interior. 4 wheel disc brakes setup was taken from chevy/gmc truck division. It possess impressive stopping power. Fuel mileage is not bad, getting 21mpg on the highway. Rear A/C and rear heat are awesome. Trunk space is ample for those long trips. Leg room in all rows are very good, compare to other minivans. Power is good. No problems to date.

Favorite Features

4 wheel disk brakes, rear a/c and rear heat, quiet interior, solid build feel, and trunk space. All-wheel- drive. Anitlock brakes.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power and fuel effiency (mpg is not that bad). A 5 or 6 speed transmission would have been nice. A little more front footwell space.

Second Astro Owned
By jjreeves9752@charter

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Astro. The first I drove 230,000 miles with little maintenance. This is longer but handles nicely I put Mogg idler arms on the 1991 that greatly improved the steering and handling. I plan to do it on the 2005 in a year or so. I now have 40000 miles on the 2005. I drive these vans from SC to Yellowstone Natl. Park and on to Phoenix and back. I pull a midsized bass boat for short 20 or 50 trips. We especially like the fold down bench seats for the second and third row seats. We throw coats and etc. over the first folded down bench. I have driven Toyota vans but this Astro will outdrive it hands down with a lot of hauling space.

Favorite Features

Fold down benches to haul flat coats and etc on. A 4.3 v6 engine that will run 90 mph on the highway very easily.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage of course. The idler steering needs after factory update with the Mogg Idler Arms and Sensor Shocks that that really give the Astro a good ride and handling ability.

2005 Astro AWD LS
By Gin

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Been pretty reliable so far. The brakes on this vehicle are awesome ( design was borrowed from their truck line 4 wheel discs) I'm 6'3 with long legs and this is the only vehicle that I can actually sit in without hitting my knees. This also includes the 3rd row seats. I've tried a lot of vehicles. Rear heat and A/C is effective. With a 8 seats filled, cargo room is still ample for that trip to L.A. I don't have have the towing gears, so I get with AWD 15 city and 21 highway. Power is as strong as any other minivan out there. Ride is a bit stiff. AWD helps with handling corners and different road terrain. GM has improved interior sound levels and rattles compared to prior years.

Favorite Features

AWD, RR HEAT+A/C, cupholders, auxillary power outlets (4)

Suggested Improvements

Passenger footwell spacing, Awesome vehicle. Why stop now? Keep improving it. This is GM's version of Honda's Accord.