Bullet Proof Family Hauler
By Anonymous on
2003 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)
My wife and I purchased a used Chevy Astro after researching other vehicles. For the money, it cannot be beat. It is incredibly reliable and has ample room for our five children. We looked at a Toyota Sequoia, Honda Pilot, and car-based minivans such as the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. We kept coming to the same conclusion that the Astro with its reliable engine and transmission, room for 8 and low ownership cost was tough to beat. With essentially the same drivetrain since '85, Chevy worked out all the kinks. We picked ours up for $7,200 with 74,900 miles. I analyzed the cost per mile and the Astro was far cheaper than any comparable vehicle. We intend to keep the vehicle until it dies.
Favorite Features
Love the power engine and smooth transmission. The brakes, with oversized rotors, are absolutely fantastic. The vehicle stops on a dime and it's really quite heavy. I also like the roominess of the van. Plenty of room for adults and ample cargo space in the back.
Suggested Improvements
The vehicle has been discontinued so I guess there isn't anything that I can really suggest. I just wish it got a little better gas mileage. We average 15-16 mpg city and around 20 mpg highway.