Used 2003 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Bullet Proof Family Hauler
By Anonymous

2003 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased a used Chevy Astro after researching other vehicles. For the money, it cannot be beat. It is incredibly reliable and has ample room for our five children. We looked at a Toyota Sequoia, Honda Pilot, and car-based minivans such as the Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna. We kept coming to the same conclusion that the Astro with its reliable engine and transmission, room for 8 and low ownership cost was tough to beat. With essentially the same drivetrain since '85, Chevy worked out all the kinks. We picked ours up for $7,200 with 74,900 miles. I analyzed the cost per mile and the Astro was far cheaper than any comparable vehicle. We intend to keep the vehicle until it dies.

Love the power engine and smooth transmission. The brakes, with oversized rotors, are absolutely fantastic. The vehicle stops on a dime and it's really quite heavy. I also like the roominess of the van. Plenty of room for adults and ample cargo space in the back.

The vehicle has been discontinued so I guess there isn't anything that I can really suggest. I just wish it got a little better gas mileage. We average 15-16 mpg city and around 20 mpg highway.

love the van
By vegagal

2003 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had an astro before this one drove it for 10 years no problems except the sliding door locked and couldn't open inside or out. It made 24 MPG. Bought a new one because we liked the old one for the room (took out the seats and we could haul 4x8 sheets of plywood. They have good clearance and AWD grip the road when lots of snow and ice ( better than our 1/2 ton 4WD pickup) Also has 5000# tow capacity. But we were very disappointed with the gas mileage on the 2003. We lost 8 to 10 MPG can't understand what happened? It has the same engine as the old one and we drive it the same way.

Tow capacity and roomy interior. clearance and traction on snow and ice.

GAS MILEAGE Looks of the exterior, Kids get embarrassed riding in it. Wipers don't hold up leave a streak right in the best viewing area have switched blades often but we soon have the problem again. interior front wheel wells leave little room for feet on passenger side. Make better gas mileage.

2003 Astro
By Pilant

2003 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van to use on boat ramps to put my boat into and out of water. I have used it in Knoxville and around Douglas Lake. The van has been no farther than 50 miles from Knoxville. It was a program vehicle with 4000 miles when I bought it. I traded a 1994 Astro van I bought at West when I bought this one. It still runs like new as one would expect with such low mileage. West has serviced the vehicle twice per year since I've owned it.

My favorite feature is the four wheel drive. I put my heavy boat in and out of the water on some difficult ramps, and I don't have to worry about this vehicle spinning and leaving me on the ramp. The van will also carry 4 x 8 ft. sheets of plywood lying flat with the rear 2 rows of seats removed.

Chevrolet has stopped making this van. I have another van, but it is only two wheel drive. The Astro has always been my favorite.

Great all around vehicle car/truck
By Red

2003 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My Astro van fuctions as both a mini and cargo van. It is very spacious for hauling passengers, equipment, and furniture. The conversion into a cargo van is awesome, by taking out the extra passenger seats, or folding them down.

Folding down seats in the rear. The extra cigarette outlets for other purposes besides smoking. Large space and the tinted windows. Power 6 cylinder engine for towing and hauling.

Need to improve fuel consumption.

Astro Number 2
By TN dog mom

2003 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Pack it up; pile the dogs in and away we go all across the USA --- most of the time I'm travelling alone and rely heavily on the reliability and durability, good performance of this van! The roomy interior is just right for all the paraphrenalia that needs to accompany us on our adventures. This is my 2nd Astro ..... my trade-in Astro had 260,000 miles on it and was still going strong! I am looking forward to putting 260,000 on this one too!

The big roomy interior! The rear air conditioning!

LED readouts for odometer hard to see in daylight.