Used 2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Don't Buy It!
By fire44

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Unless you have a large family and you intend to tow more than the typical mini-van will allow, don't buy one. With just 35,000 mi. I'm already having mechanical problems. We've replaced the ignition, "U" joint and the water pump. There is something else that is making noise under the hood that I haven't tracked down yet and the front end will need work in the very near future. It gets poor fuel economy when compared to other mini-vans and really is not a comfortable vehicle to drive.

Favorite Features

It's a good grocery getter at best. It fits the family but with only a passenger side slider, it is not very user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy has already done the best thing they could do by discontinuing this model.

2002 Astrovan
By Jed Depew

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased an Astrovan due to its vast cargo capacity and some advice from a mechanic I know. While the engine and drive train has been good it seem likes everything else has a problem. Small things break on a regular basis and are a pain to repair. Door handles, door locks, rear seats, windshield, lights front and rear, etc.

Favorite Features

Tons of cargo space, roof rack, strong engine and drive train.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to work on its quality control, too many small things go wrong.

2002 Astro Conversion
By hope46

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only things I don't really like about this van are the turning radius, which isn't as tight as the Voyager we used to have, and how difficult it is to back up at night, because we have dark tinted windows, and the seats are quite high, making it difficult to see. It's a great traveling van, the back seat folds down to a bed, and it has nice blinds on the windows. It gets better mileage that we thought it would, averaging 20 mpg. I've gotten 24 mpg with it on the interstate. We'll keep this until it falls apart on us; we're quite happy with it.

Favorite Features

I love my running boards, my electric seat, the rear defogger and wiper. I like that the headrests are removable. The sound system is really good, and I like the features on it. I also like that I can adjust my seatbelt and steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

There's too much body between the windshield and the front windows on the side, which makes for poor visibility sometimes when pulling out into traffic. There's not enough legroom in the front seats for taller people; my 6 foot DH gets a bit cramped on long trips.

Astro is a strong minivan
By Mike

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Astro. The first one was destroyed in a side-impact collision by a drunk driver. The impact was so hard it flipped the van over onto it's roof and spun it around the intersection. No serious injuries to my wife and children, just small cuts from broken glass. Astro vans are built on a truck frame, and are durable, strong, and can almost drive like a pickup. It's been on many a campout with my son's scout troop. If you're thinking about buying a minivan, and need durability, strength, and space, get an Astrovan.

Favorite Features

Strength in a collision, rear a/c, dutch doors, locking rear differential, towing package, driver sits up higher than a pickup, V-6 engine has power, standard speakers have lots of bass.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise on the highway was a little more than I like.

Astro better than SUV for my family
By cmaricle

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The astro is much better than the Suburban for my family, much better accessability between rows when dealing with kids. Hey, its not sexy but its a good ride.

Favorite Features

Three row seats with captains chairs, the driver seat sits high.

Suggested Improvements

about 100 more horsepower