2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
chevy astro
By boyd6577 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have really enjoyed our astro for almost 2 years, now and would recommend it to anyone with more than 2 children. it is very comfortable, and reliable

Much more than a mini-van - SUV killer
By flyingdutchman01 on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Astro, a 2002 LS model. I hope that GM comes to its senses and redesignes the ASTRO. There is no other package like it on the road - good cargo and towing ability and room for my family and still has room for more stuff behind the 3rd row!). Mid- sized SUVs scrunch a 3rd row (if you can even get it in the highest costs models) right up against the back glass. Full sized SUVs cost 10-15k more and drink more fuel with no more space. This is a great package. GM - you've redesigned the s-10 replacement. Now its time to do the same for the ASTRO!

this is the family vehicle
By momwithkids on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We are on our second Astro. We love the room, comfort & ease of movement, (important when you have to get back to little kids in car seats quickly no center console to trip over). Most of all we found that this van is reliable, powerful easy drive, sits high for great visibility. Lots of cargo room. There isn't a minivan that can compare! It is like an SUV w/minivan price w/better gas mileage and manuverability. Astros are only for the economically minded who need a reliable work horse to tote a family.

Old reliable
By Alex Rose on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Chevy has left the challenge in place for any other manufacturer to put as much value in a van as the Astro. It may be an old design, but it continues to fill a niche in the NA market. The room, fuel mileage and towing are great! The styling may seem boxy, but when you are looking for reliability, you cannot beat this combination.

Poor Stepchild to the Suburban
By KVD on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Got the LS AWD (with leather and every available option) for family trips. No aftermarked flip-down video made for the model. Owned vehicle 6 months and has been in the shop 7 times, once to re-attach the gas tank! Rattles like garbage truck and parts coming apart on the interior. Had a 93 Astro that we drove all over the US with no problems. Get the impression that all the attention goes into SUV design and production. This could be a great vehicle.

A minivan that works like an SUV
By cgoetz on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We had owned a '90 Plymouth Grand Voyager, and liked its large interior, but didn't like its reliability. The Astro has at least as much room, but has been perfectly reliable so far, and has a lot more power. We enjoy camping, but never dared take our pop-up into the mountains with the Plymouth. The Astro does a nice job of taking us and our stuff wherever we want to go. The old van was good on snow, but the Astro is something else altogether - it is diffucult to make it slip even when you try. I'd recommend it to anyone who has an active family.

3 Astros and Counting
By Moms on her 3rd on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I am on my third Astro Van. I literally cried we I was told I had to give the 1st one up at 100,000. Then the second one at 107,000 miles. Today in our throw-away world its nice to know there are somethings still dependable. I carry alot of children around and the ruggedness of this vehicle is unbelieveable. My only suggestion would be for Chevy to ask mothers what changes they would make. The rear windows opening is a very good point.Other than that I hope they keep making this model.

Astro Review
By Houstonastro on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I found this vechicle to be very reliable. After 2 years of service, only the original battery has failed. For my purpose it has served me well in hauling boy scouts for campouts as well as family vacations. I selected the Astro van over other mini-vans because it is on a truck frame, the usable interior space & seating, and the superior gas milage compared to SUV's with comparable interior space.

Great Combination
By Moms Green Machine on 03/07/02 00:10 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Vortec 4300 V6 Engine All-Wheel Drive w/Locking rear differential and 3.73 axel ratio. Test drove this van because my husband asked and I am glad he made the suggestion. This van has more leg room in the rear seats and is very easy to get in and out. Our family loves the split-folding leather bench seats. More room inside with a shorter van.I like being higher then the oncoming headlights. The power of a truck with the luxury of a mini-van. I couldn't have asked for a better combination.

time to retire it?
By roger c on 03/04/02 17:42 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: I like the way it looks, tougher than the typical mini-van. Torquey engine feels powerful, accelerates nicely. Seats 8, not 7 like many others. Dutch door is convenient. Cons: Those wheel. The seats don't fold down and out of the way and weigh a ton if you want to remove them. Storage bins, etc., seem like stuff glued into a cargo van- feel like my kids will snap them off at any minute. Back seat hard to get into. Dual sliding doors not available.