Used 2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Sad to see them go
By Donn

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4th Astro, obviously we like them. A-B'b the Caravan, Aerostar & Astro when we were in the market for a small van in 1985. Thought the Astro was the best choice then, still do now. Sorry they're no longer made

Larger size compared to other comparable makes. A truck as opposed to a car with a van body. Front engine, rear drive. At the time, a bigger V-6 than the other makes. Remove one or both bench seats and it swallows cargo.

No leg room in the front seats, particularly the passenger side. Wish the promised V-8 would've made it to production.

Chevy, make another!
By Jason

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 because we owned a '91 & my wife loved being up higher than a typical minivan. It was barely used when we bought it & it had everything we wanted. The biggest improvement over the older one was the rear dutch doors. It's a system that makes complete sense. The adjustability of the bench seats is tremendous, allowing ample leg room for an adult in the back if neccessary. Try having an adult in the back of a Caravan; they may decide to walk! The only thing I needed to change was the factory rims & tires; looked really soft for such a tough truck (and it is a truck!). We love our Astro van and plan on keeping it for years to come

4.3 Vortec engine (great pickup); rear dutch doors; tow package; rear AC & heat

I wish the benches were split in thirds; it can be a bit difficult removing by yourself (especially the middle). Also, a center console would be nice (we made one for more storage space).

It was time to stop making this model
By Mr P

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van was a good fit for my needs at the time, It can tow medium size loads, and is OK in comfort. The engine box should be pushed forward some. Cargo space is great, if you remove the third row seat, which is a chore for one person.

Lots of cargo space and for its size, can tow good size load.

Push engine box forward

2002 Astrovan
By Jed Depew

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased an Astrovan due to its vast cargo capacity and some advice from a mechanic I know. While the engine and drive train has been good it seem likes everything else has a problem. Small things break on a regular basis and are a pain to repair. Door handles, door locks, rear seats, windshield, lights front and rear, etc.

Tons of cargo space, roof rack, strong engine and drive train.

Chevy needs to work on its quality control, too many small things go wrong.

2002 Astro Conversion
By hope46

2002 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only things I don't really like about this van are the turning radius, which isn't as tight as the Voyager we used to have, and how difficult it is to back up at night, because we have dark tinted windows, and the seats are quite high, making it difficult to see. It's a great traveling van, the back seat folds down to a bed, and it has nice blinds on the windows. It gets better mileage that we thought it would, averaging 20 mpg. I've gotten 24 mpg with it on the interstate. We'll keep this until it falls apart on us; we're quite happy with it.

I love my running boards, my electric seat, the rear defogger and wiper. I like that the headrests are removable. The sound system is really good, and I like the features on it. I also like that I can adjust my seatbelt and steering wheel.

There's too much body between the windshield and the front windows on the side, which makes for poor visibility sometimes when pulling out into traffic. There's not enough legroom in the front seats for taller people; my 6 foot DH gets a bit cramped on long trips.