2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2002 Astro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Sort Reviews by

Sad to see them go
By Donn

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4th Astro, obviously we like them. A-B'b the Caravan, Aerostar & Astro when we were in the market for a small van in 1985. Thought the Astro was the best choice then, still do now. Sorry they're no longer made

Favorite Features

Larger size compared to other comparable makes. A truck as opposed to a car with a van body. Front engine, rear drive. At the time, a bigger V-6 than the other makes. Remove one or both bench seats and it swallows cargo.

Suggested Improvements

No leg room in the front seats, particularly the passenger side. Wish the promised V-8 would've made it to production.

Chevy, make another!
By Jason

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 because we owned a '91 & my wife loved being up higher than a typical minivan. It was barely used when we bought it & it had everything we wanted. The biggest improvement over the older one was the rear dutch doors. It's a system that makes complete sense. The adjustability of the bench seats is tremendous, allowing ample leg room for an adult in the back if neccessary. Try having an adult in the back of a Caravan; they may decide to walk! The only thing I needed to change was the factory rims & tires; looked really soft for such a tough truck (and it is a truck!). We love our Astro van and plan on keeping it for years to come

Favorite Features

4.3 Vortec engine (great pickup); rear dutch doors; tow package; rear AC & heat

Suggested Improvements

I wish the benches were split in thirds; it can be a bit difficult removing by yourself (especially the middle). Also, a center console would be nice (we made one for more storage space).

It was time to stop making this model
By Mr P

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van was a good fit for my needs at the time, It can tow medium size loads, and is OK in comfort. The engine box should be pushed forward some. Cargo space is great, if you remove the third row seat, which is a chore for one person.

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo space and for its size, can tow good size load.

Suggested Improvements

Push engine box forward

2002 Astrovan
By Jed Depew

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased an Astrovan due to its vast cargo capacity and some advice from a mechanic I know. While the engine and drive train has been good it seem likes everything else has a problem. Small things break on a regular basis and are a pain to repair. Door handles, door locks, rear seats, windshield, lights front and rear, etc.

Favorite Features

Tons of cargo space, roof rack, strong engine and drive train.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to work on its quality control, too many small things go wrong.

2002 Astro Conversion
By hope46

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only things I don't really like about this van are the turning radius, which isn't as tight as the Voyager we used to have, and how difficult it is to back up at night, because we have dark tinted windows, and the seats are quite high, making it difficult to see. It's a great traveling van, the back seat folds down to a bed, and it has nice blinds on the windows. It gets better mileage that we thought it would, averaging 20 mpg. I've gotten 24 mpg with it on the interstate. We'll keep this until it falls apart on us; we're quite happy with it.

Favorite Features

I love my running boards, my electric seat, the rear defogger and wiper. I like that the headrests are removable. The sound system is really good, and I like the features on it. I also like that I can adjust my seatbelt and steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

There's too much body between the windshield and the front windows on the side, which makes for poor visibility sometimes when pulling out into traffic. There's not enough legroom in the front seats for taller people; my 6 foot DH gets a bit cramped on long trips.

Astro is a strong minivan
By Mike

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Astro. The first one was destroyed in a side-impact collision by a drunk driver. The impact was so hard it flipped the van over onto it's roof and spun it around the intersection. No serious injuries to my wife and children, just small cuts from broken glass. Astro vans are built on a truck frame, and are durable, strong, and can almost drive like a pickup. It's been on many a campout with my son's scout troop. If you're thinking about buying a minivan, and need durability, strength, and space, get an Astrovan.

Favorite Features

Strength in a collision, rear a/c, dutch doors, locking rear differential, towing package, driver sits up higher than a pickup, V-6 engine has power, standard speakers have lots of bass.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise on the highway was a little more than I like.

Astro better than SUV for my family
By cmaricle

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The astro is much better than the Suburban for my family, much better accessability between rows when dealing with kids. Hey, its not sexy but its a good ride.

Favorite Features

Three row seats with captains chairs, the driver seat sits high.

Suggested Improvements

about 100 more horsepower

Old reliable
By Alex Rose

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Chevy has left the challenge in place for any other manufacturer to put as much value in a van as the Astro. It may be an old design, but it continues to fill a niche in the NA market. The room, fuel mileage and towing are great! The styling may seem boxy, but when you are looking for reliability, you cannot beat this combination.

Favorite Features

Exceptional reliability

Suggested Improvements

Continue to build this midsize class of van.

3 Astros and Counting
By Moms on her 3rd

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I am on my third Astro Van. I literally cried we I was told I had to give the 1st one up at 100,000. Then the second one at 107,000 miles. Today in our throw-away world its nice to know there are somethings still dependable. I carry alot of children around and the ruggedness of this vehicle is unbelieveable. My only suggestion would be for Chevy to ask mothers what changes they would make. The rear windows opening is a very good point.Other than that I hope they keep making this model.

Astro Review
By Houstonastro

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I found this vechicle to be very reliable. After 2 years of service, only the original battery has failed. For my purpose it has served me well in hauling boy scouts for campouts as well as family vacations. I selected the Astro van over other mini-vans because it is on a truck frame, the usable interior space & seating, and the superior gas milage compared to SUV's with comparable interior space.