2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Satisfied
By Mike on 08/19/10 11:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle as a rental return. I need AWD because I sell property in the mountains and occasionally go off road. Clients are always comfortable. Currently has 180K miles, mostly reliable, minimal repairs have been needed. Gas mileage in the mountains averages 13-14 MPG. 18-20 MPG on the road.

Sad to see them go
By Donn on 03/18/09 16:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4th Astro, obviously we like them. A-B'b the Caravan, Aerostar & Astro when we were in the market for a small van in 1985. Thought the Astro was the best choice then, still do now. Sorry they're no longer made

This is one great van! Bring it back!
By Ron on 01/06/09 18:18 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned four of the Astro series and one Safari van since '96. I've had only good experiences with them. Maybe I apprciate its comfort level, driveability and road feel because I don't expect this truck to drive like a luxury sedan. My Astros gave me better mileage than any pickups I've driven from time to time (including the big new Toyotas), yet with much bigger enclosed hauling space for my tools, lumber, etc., with the seats out. Then, when you need it, unlike a pickup, it's a great people mover too. And, as far as the styling goes, a nicely detailed 2002 Astro looks better than anything else out there. I'm keeping this one!

Chevy, make another!
By Jason on 04/25/08 07:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 because we owned a '91 & my wife loved being up higher than a typical minivan. It was barely used when we bought it & it had everything we wanted. The biggest improvement over the older one was the rear dutch doors. It's a system that makes complete sense. The adjustability of the bench seats is tremendous, allowing ample leg room for an adult in the back if neccessary. Try having an adult in the back of a Caravan; they may decide to walk! The only thing I needed to change was the factory rims & tires; looked really soft for such a tough truck (and it is a truck!). We love our Astro van and plan on keeping it for years to come

It was time to stop making this model
By Mr P on 08/26/07 16:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van was a good fit for my needs at the time, It can tow medium size loads, and is OK in comfort. The engine box should be pushed forward some. Cargo space is great, if you remove the third row seat, which is a chore for one person.

Don't Buy It!
By fire44 on 12/02/06 12:22 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Unless you have a large family and you intend to tow more than the typical mini-van will allow, don't buy one. With just 35,000 mi. I'm already having mechanical problems. We've replaced the ignition, "U" joint and the water pump. There is something else that is making noise under the hood that I haven't tracked down yet and the front end will need work in the very near future. It gets poor fuel economy when compared to other mini-vans and really is not a comfortable vehicle to drive.

2002 Astrovan
By Jed Depew on 07/16/06 09:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased an Astrovan due to its vast cargo capacity and some advice from a mechanic I know. While the engine and drive train has been good it seem likes everything else has a problem. Small things break on a regular basis and are a pain to repair. Door handles, door locks, rear seats, windshield, lights front and rear, etc.

2002 Astro Conversion
By hope46 on 07/06/06 19:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The only things I don't really like about this van are the turning radius, which isn't as tight as the Voyager we used to have, and how difficult it is to back up at night, because we have dark tinted windows, and the seats are quite high, making it difficult to see. It's a great traveling van, the back seat folds down to a bed, and it has nice blinds on the windows. It gets better mileage that we thought it would, averaging 20 mpg. I've gotten 24 mpg with it on the interstate. We'll keep this until it falls apart on us; we're quite happy with it.

Astro is a strong minivan
By Mike on 04/08/06 06:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Astro. The first one was destroyed in a side-impact collision by a drunk driver. The impact was so hard it flipped the van over onto it's roof and spun it around the intersection. No serious injuries to my wife and children, just small cuts from broken glass. Astro vans are built on a truck frame, and are durable, strong, and can almost drive like a pickup. It's been on many a campout with my son's scout troop. If you're thinking about buying a minivan, and need durability, strength, and space, get an Astrovan.

Astro better than SUV for my family
By cmaricle on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The astro is much better than the Suburban for my family, much better accessability between rows when dealing with kids. Hey, its not sexy but its a good ride.