Used 2002 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Astro

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Satisfied
By Mike

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle as a rental return. I need AWD because I sell property in the mountains and occasionally go off road. Clients are always comfortable. Currently has 180K miles, mostly reliable, minimal repairs have been needed. Gas mileage in the mountains averages 13-14 MPG. 18-20 MPG on the road.

Favorite Features

Control on hills and wet roads, style,

Suggested Improvements

A V8 would be nice. V6 has enough power for most everyday driving. Extra power would be nice for towing heavy loads up hill or for someone like me who likes quick acceleration.

Sad to see them go
By Donn

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4th Astro, obviously we like them. A-B'b the Caravan, Aerostar & Astro when we were in the market for a small van in 1985. Thought the Astro was the best choice then, still do now. Sorry they're no longer made

Favorite Features

Larger size compared to other comparable makes. A truck as opposed to a car with a van body. Front engine, rear drive. At the time, a bigger V-6 than the other makes. Remove one or both bench seats and it swallows cargo.

Suggested Improvements

No leg room in the front seats, particularly the passenger side. Wish the promised V-8 would've made it to production.

This is one great van! Bring it back!
By Ron

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned four of the Astro series and one Safari van since '96. I've had only good experiences with them. Maybe I apprciate its comfort level, driveability and road feel because I don't expect this truck to drive like a luxury sedan. My Astros gave me better mileage than any pickups I've driven from time to time (including the big new Toyotas), yet with much bigger enclosed hauling space for my tools, lumber, etc., with the seats out. Then, when you need it, unlike a pickup, it's a great people mover too. And, as far as the styling goes, a nicely detailed 2002 Astro looks better than anything else out there. I'm keeping this one!

Favorite Features

Strong and reliable drivetrain, large hauling capacity, driving comfort, high vantage point, great looks, all wheel drive safety, good mileage for vehicle size, responsive handling for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Update the styling a bit and bring it back!

Chevy, make another!
By Jason

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 because we owned a '91 & my wife loved being up higher than a typical minivan. It was barely used when we bought it & it had everything we wanted. The biggest improvement over the older one was the rear dutch doors. It's a system that makes complete sense. The adjustability of the bench seats is tremendous, allowing ample leg room for an adult in the back if neccessary. Try having an adult in the back of a Caravan; they may decide to walk! The only thing I needed to change was the factory rims & tires; looked really soft for such a tough truck (and it is a truck!). We love our Astro van and plan on keeping it for years to come

Favorite Features

4.3 Vortec engine (great pickup); rear dutch doors; tow package; rear AC & heat

Suggested Improvements

I wish the benches were split in thirds; it can be a bit difficult removing by yourself (especially the middle). Also, a center console would be nice (we made one for more storage space).

It was time to stop making this model
By Mr P

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van was a good fit for my needs at the time, It can tow medium size loads, and is OK in comfort. The engine box should be pushed forward some. Cargo space is great, if you remove the third row seat, which is a chore for one person.

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo space and for its size, can tow good size load.

Suggested Improvements

Push engine box forward