Used 2002 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Astro Snow Mobile
By D-Mac

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

bought the astro w 130,000 mi. 3yrs ago. 160know. Replaced a jeep cherokee with it and so happy with our choice. More cargo and smoother ride.

Mine is not a soccer mom mobil. It's the Toy Box. And I have a long playlist. Take one seat out. still seat 5 comfortably. and put 5 bikes in the back. Or skis or snowboards... climbing gear... windsurf/kitesurf rigs... or a mixture of them all. In the winter move the seat to the back row and you have a nice space to put ski boots on or have lunch between snowkite sessions or sleep in it..rear heat works great. No need for a rocket box. but it has factory racks so easy to do if needed. Hook up a trailer and pull 4 dirt bikes or two snowmobiles no worries.

Right now its winter and this van loves it. So stable on ice and snow. Good tires of course do help a lot. We ski little cottonwood cny and chase wind for snowkiting so often driving in blizzards. Its weight is well proportioned to its size and make it a smooth reliable snow mobile. The gears work awesome. Just put it in 1st or 2nd on steep snowy downhills and you barley need to use the brakes. I work on the great salt lake, if it's not stormy, and have to commute across a 15 mile dirt road which gets icy, horribly washboarded, and rutted this time of year. Set the cruz control at 45 and let the S-10 chassy do the work.

although i have had to replace fuel pump and catalytic converter, normal stuff for its age, affordable parts and minimal labor made it no big deal. I recommend this van to all fun hogs... especially snow lovers.

Satisfied
By Mike

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle as a rental return. I need AWD because I sell property in the mountains and occasionally go off road. Clients are always comfortable. Currently has 180K miles, mostly reliable, minimal repairs have been needed. Gas mileage in the mountains averages 13-14 MPG. 18-20 MPG on the road.

Control on hills and wet roads, style,

A V8 would be nice. V6 has enough power for most everyday driving. Extra power would be nice for towing heavy loads up hill or for someone like me who likes quick acceleration.

Sad to see them go
By Donn

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4th Astro, obviously we like them. A-B'b the Caravan, Aerostar & Astro when we were in the market for a small van in 1985. Thought the Astro was the best choice then, still do now. Sorry they're no longer made

Larger size compared to other comparable makes. A truck as opposed to a car with a van body. Front engine, rear drive. At the time, a bigger V-6 than the other makes. Remove one or both bench seats and it swallows cargo.

No leg room in the front seats, particularly the passenger side. Wish the promised V-8 would've made it to production.

This is one great van! Bring it back!
By Ron

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned four of the Astro series and one Safari van since '96. I've had only good experiences with them. Maybe I apprciate its comfort level, driveability and road feel because I don't expect this truck to drive like a luxury sedan. My Astros gave me better mileage than any pickups I've driven from time to time (including the big new Toyotas), yet with much bigger enclosed hauling space for my tools, lumber, etc., with the seats out. Then, when you need it, unlike a pickup, it's a great people mover too. And, as far as the styling goes, a nicely detailed 2002 Astro looks better than anything else out there. I'm keeping this one!

Strong and reliable drivetrain, large hauling capacity, driving comfort, high vantage point, great looks, all wheel drive safety, good mileage for vehicle size, responsive handling for a truck

Update the styling a bit and bring it back!

Chevy, make another!
By Jason

2002 Chevrolet Astro LS Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 because we owned a '91 & my wife loved being up higher than a typical minivan. It was barely used when we bought it & it had everything we wanted. The biggest improvement over the older one was the rear dutch doors. It's a system that makes complete sense. The adjustability of the bench seats is tremendous, allowing ample leg room for an adult in the back if neccessary. Try having an adult in the back of a Caravan; they may decide to walk! The only thing I needed to change was the factory rims & tires; looked really soft for such a tough truck (and it is a truck!). We love our Astro van and plan on keeping it for years to come

4.3 Vortec engine (great pickup); rear dutch doors; tow package; rear AC & heat

I wish the benches were split in thirds; it can be a bit difficult removing by yourself (especially the middle). Also, a center console would be nice (we made one for more storage space).