2001 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Useful but plain
By Mr. Rufener on 07/15/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Astroís greatest merit is its interior space. It has room for 8 large passengers plus considerable cargo. It is also the only newer minivan that can tow 4500 pounds. Otherwise, itís a humdrum vehicle that delivers dependable, no-frills transportation. AWD, a common option, is valuable for driving in snow, but unfortunately doesn't work in reverse. It also reduces mileage by 2 mpg. Expect 13-17 mpg for an AWD model. The powertrain performance is adequate but doesnít feel strong, and itís noisy when pushed hard. The seats are only moderately comfortable, but they were improved in 2002. The Astro offers usefulness and value to owners willing to sacrifice modern design and performance.

Trans. and rearend out at 72,000 miles
By mmfan56 on 04/17/06 16:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro we have owned, the other being a 1993 we sold at 170,000 miles with little problems; motor mounts,elec. wondows, etc. This van has been babied since we had it, but I tow a small trailer occasionally, with heavy loads. The trans never seemed to shift quite right, but Chevy dealer always said okay. Recently, noticed the rear starting to sing, especially, at 40 mph, off gas. Oil leakage around pinion seal, 1 pint low. Took to Aamco, bad rear and trans being repaired as I write this.

Solid Van
By DJ on 11/27/05 19:53 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 95 that only was in the shop a couple of times for non-maintenance work - a bad EGR valve and the exhaust system rusted out at 92k miles. Based on my experience I bought a new 2001. It's five years old and has 120k miles on it. I've had a few non-maintenance repairs. At around 50k miles the turn signal switch went out. This was a $450 repair but about three years later, GM had a recall on the switch and re-imbursed me. I installed new front shocks at around 70k miles. At about 105k miles the fuel pump went out. This cost $750 plus the towing!

Good Astro
By John on 04/06/05 08:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Astro but my first AWD. Even though the gas mileage is less with AWD, I find it holds the road better, especially wet roads. I would purchase another.

2001 Astro AWD, what an inprovement
By fourwindgsd on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro I have owned, the other being a 1995 AWD that was a maintenance nightmare. But the Astro is so ideal for my needs that I traded for the 2001 AWD. What a difference! So much more thoughfully laid out, seats are MUCH lighter (still no picnic) to remove. The driver controls are thoughfully laid out easy to reach and control. The response to driver imput is much improved and better power when it's needed. The rocker arm mouldings are a nice addition and make the van more attractive than the 1995. I am very happy with my purchase and expect to continue with the Astro/Safari for yet another one.

My 3rd Astro
By Jim of Fort-Laud. on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned an 85 and a 91. My most recent Astro is the worst one yet. I miss the comfort of the seats of my other vans; I have deflated the back support completely and it is still uncomfortable. I cannot adjust the AC vent to prevent the air from blowing right on me; it is the same for the passenger. The rear suspension is too soft; I had to reinforce it. I have spent a lot of time at the dealer (leaking roof, brake light, door lock, rear axle, brakes, power windows, etc.). Like my other Astros, the idle is rough, the rear brakes are weak, and the check engine light comes on.

A Handy Van
By astro FAN on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Astro AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Van is excellent in snow.Optional seats are comfortable.Cruises well on the highway but can be a little wishy washy on windy day driving.Very solid feel and LOTS of power.Plenty of cargo room.Ride is a little firm but better than a suv.The family loves it!!Oh... and not a single problem yet!!

My 2001 Astro Van
By sharona61bio on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van used in January 2003. It had 38,000 miles when I bought it. So far, it has been a really good vehicle. The only problems that I have experienced is a bad window motor, a bit of vibration at idle and an intermittent squeak from the rear on acceleration. These appear to be more annoying than detrimental. I drive it to work everyday and have made a few 100+ mile trips to visit relatives. It's comfortable, roomy and it handles real well. The dash controls are very user-friendly. The front/rear AC does a nice cooling job even with 6 adults aboard in July heat.

Could be a better van.
By rsocia on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro we have owned. We were in two very serious accidents with our first and the van held up great. My a/c, the window switches, and belt broke in both vans. The fuel pump has gone out in my new one along with the emergency brake. The wiper control broke. The interior does not hold up very well. The van sounds horrible, but the service department does not know why. It stays in the shop. It is difficult to see out of the backe windows with the doors. The sliding door is hard to close. I do feel safe in it and I love driving it, but I am afraid that it will leave me stranded one day.

#1 Review
By astroman on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Astro Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

1st gear too torquey; Computer seems to 2nd guess your moves: I drive very conservatively most of the time so when I really have to get on it and pass someone, it wants to balk or almost hesitate like it has to figure out what I'm about to do; Plastic trim is so poorly fitted that you can go around the vehicle and pop trim up with your fingers; Very poor ventilation system engineering and quality: the lack of being able to get A/C or fresh air through any of the settings (GM fixes the choice)-there's still plenty of air coming right out at you with front vents closed; Wipers on high speed push all the water from the passenger side into the drivers vision.