Used 2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

My 3rd Astro
By Jim of Fort-Laud.

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned an 85 and a 91. My most recent Astro is the worst one yet. I miss the comfort of the seats of my other vans; I have deflated the back support completely and it is still uncomfortable. I cannot adjust the AC vent to prevent the air from blowing right on me; it is the same for the passenger. The rear suspension is too soft; I had to reinforce it. I have spent a lot of time at the dealer (leaking roof, brake light, door lock, rear axle, brakes, power windows, etc.). Like my other Astros, the idle is rough, the rear brakes are weak, and the check engine light comes on.

Favorite Features

Strong vehicle: it will pull either my 22ft boat or my pop-up trailer with ease. We have a nice panoramic view and plenty of space for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Redesigned the ventilation,suspention, front seats, rear brakes, engine at idle.

A Handy Van
By astro FAN

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Van is excellent in snow.Optional seats are comfortable.Cruises well on the highway but can be a little wishy washy on windy day driving.Very solid feel and LOTS of power.Plenty of cargo room.Ride is a little firm but better than a suv.The family loves it!!Oh... and not a single problem yet!!

Favorite Features

loaded astro is very enjoyable on long trips...rear cargo space...power...wet and snow traction.Not a sports car so if you drive it within its capabilities it is a capable comfortable van

Suggested Improvements

Easier rear seat removal and a Tachometer would be nice.The 03 is redesigned so maybe it has one ...plus the 03 model is a little more rounded and not as boxy looking!!

My 2001 Astro Van
By sharona61bio

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van used in January 2003. It had 38,000 miles when I bought it. So far, it has been a really good vehicle. The only problems that I have experienced is a bad window motor, a bit of vibration at idle and an intermittent squeak from the rear on acceleration. These appear to be more annoying than detrimental. I drive it to work everyday and have made a few 100+ mile trips to visit relatives. It's comfortable, roomy and it handles real well. The dash controls are very user-friendly. The front/rear AC does a nice cooling job even with 6 adults aboard in July heat.

Favorite Features

Comfy front and rear seats Excellent driver visibility Headliner console w/lights/storage Roomy

Suggested Improvements

Better window motor parts Dress up the interior/woodgrain etc. Thicker carpeting

Could be a better van.
By rsocia

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro we have owned. We were in two very serious accidents with our first and the van held up great. My a/c, the window switches, and belt broke in both vans. The fuel pump has gone out in my new one along with the emergency brake. The wiper control broke. The interior does not hold up very well. The van sounds horrible, but the service department does not know why. It stays in the shop. It is difficult to see out of the backe windows with the doors. The sliding door is hard to close. I do feel safe in it and I love driving it, but I am afraid that it will leave me stranded one day.

Favorite Features

I like the console and the size of the van. It is comfortable to drive and ride in.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior. Go back to the back doors that were on earlier models, the ones with the top door that lifted up. Needs to be better built, including the air conditioner.

#1 Review
By astroman

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

1st gear too torquey; Computer seems to 2nd guess your moves: I drive very conservatively most of the time so when I really have to get on it and pass someone, it wants to balk or almost hesitate like it has to figure out what I'm about to do; Plastic trim is so poorly fitted that you can go around the vehicle and pop trim up with your fingers; Very poor ventilation system engineering and quality: the lack of being able to get A/C or fresh air through any of the settings (GM fixes the choice)-there's still plenty of air coming right out at you with front vents closed; Wipers on high speed push all the water from the passenger side into the drivers vision.

Favorite Features

Hoping the tried and true V-6 will give me a few 100K miles.

Suggested Improvements

More relaxed gearing upon take off; Better designed ventilation system; Better designed wiper system on front.