Used 2001 Chevrolet Astro Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Useful but plain
By Mr. Rufener

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Astroís greatest merit is its interior space. It has room for 8 large passengers plus considerable cargo. It is also the only newer minivan that can tow 4500 pounds. Otherwise, itís a humdrum vehicle that delivers dependable, no-frills transportation. AWD, a common option, is valuable for driving in snow, but unfortunately doesn't work in reverse. It also reduces mileage by 2 mpg. Expect 13-17 mpg for an AWD model. The powertrain performance is adequate but doesnít feel strong, and itís noisy when pushed hard. The seats are only moderately comfortable, but they were improved in 2002. The Astro offers usefulness and value to owners willing to sacrifice modern design and performance.

Favorite Features

Passenger and cargo space. 4500 lb. towing ability. AWD performance, good reliability record, convenience of "Dutch Doors" (innovative three-part rear door design with a top hatch and bottom swinging doors); overhead console with trip computer; easy-to-use (though cheap) controls on dash

Suggested Improvements

Unresponsive handling, no sliding door on driverís side, electronic latch on rear hatch sometimes sticks, high step-in height, wheel wells intrude into legroom of front seats, window defrost doesnít keep up in cold weather

Trans. and rearend out at 72,000 miles
By mmfan56

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Astro we have owned, the other being a 1993 we sold at 170,000 miles with little problems; motor mounts,elec. wondows, etc. This van has been babied since we had it, but I tow a small trailer occasionally, with heavy loads. The trans never seemed to shift quite right, but Chevy dealer always said okay. Recently, noticed the rear starting to sing, especially, at 40 mph, off gas. Oil leakage around pinion seal, 1 pint low. Took to Aamco, bad rear and trans being repaired as I write this.

Favorite Features

Nice vehicle to travel in, especially for two people.

Suggested Improvements

Disappointed in life of transmission and rear.

Solid Van
By DJ

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 95 that only was in the shop a couple of times for non-maintenance work - a bad EGR valve and the exhaust system rusted out at 92k miles. Based on my experience I bought a new 2001. It's five years old and has 120k miles on it. I've had a few non-maintenance repairs. At around 50k miles the turn signal switch went out. This was a $450 repair but about three years later, GM had a recall on the switch and re-imbursed me. I installed new front shocks at around 70k miles. At about 105k miles the fuel pump went out. This cost $750 plus the towing!

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Much more room than a small mini-van. Heavy duty vehicle compared to other minivans. A good value for the money. Plenty of power. The van can pull a trailer with no strain.

Suggested Improvements

The quality on the 2001 was slightly lower than my 95. More rattles, interior trim items that came loose, etc.

My 3rd Astro
By Jim of Fort-Laud.

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned an 85 and a 91. My most recent Astro is the worst one yet. I miss the comfort of the seats of my other vans; I have deflated the back support completely and it is still uncomfortable. I cannot adjust the AC vent to prevent the air from blowing right on me; it is the same for the passenger. The rear suspension is too soft; I had to reinforce it. I have spent a lot of time at the dealer (leaking roof, brake light, door lock, rear axle, brakes, power windows, etc.). Like my other Astros, the idle is rough, the rear brakes are weak, and the check engine light comes on.

Favorite Features

Strong vehicle: it will pull either my 22ft boat or my pop-up trailer with ease. We have a nice panoramic view and plenty of space for passengers and cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Redesigned the ventilation,suspention, front seats, rear brakes, engine at idle.

My 2001 Astro Van
By sharona61bio

2001 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my van used in January 2003. It had 38,000 miles when I bought it. So far, it has been a really good vehicle. The only problems that I have experienced is a bad window motor, a bit of vibration at idle and an intermittent squeak from the rear on acceleration. These appear to be more annoying than detrimental. I drive it to work everyday and have made a few 100+ mile trips to visit relatives. It's comfortable, roomy and it handles real well. The dash controls are very user-friendly. The front/rear AC does a nice cooling job even with 6 adults aboard in July heat.

Favorite Features

Comfy front and rear seats Excellent driver visibility Headliner console w/lights/storage Roomy

Suggested Improvements

Better window motor parts Dress up the interior/woodgrain etc. Thicker carpeting