Bad engine
By Jim on
2000 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD
A great all purpose vehicle when it runs right. Unchanged in 20 yrs. like the old VW beatle. Mine "burns" more coolant than oil! Head gasket leaking. Need a new engine after just 74K. Lukas oil treatment no help. Engine hard to service; spark plugs not accessible. Hard to find mechanics who know and understand this vehicle. The front end rebuilt for $1800. Tape deck stolen in Manhattan inspite of security/alarm system. This cargo van was converted to passenger minus the seats--large clear glass (!) windows were cut into the sides. 5- leaf rear springs were added for heavy duty which I recommend! I was thrilled with 18.6 MPG highway recently. But I'm trading it in for a used 2005.
Favorite Features
Roomy. I've hauled 2 600 lb balled trees, 200 lb slabs of oak, 12 sheets of 4x8 plywood, 5 people on different occasions. The more weight inside the better this vehicle handles. Superb handling
Suggested Improvements
Double the overall quality to compete with Toyota. Forget "come-on" features like outside temperature readings, rear "Dutch Doors", remote door locks, power mirrors. Add driver-side rear doors--don't have to be sliding. The Honda Element is a spin off from this great design. GM should re-think.