2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Good Bye Old Pal
By stevemcp on 02/17/13 08:58 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I'm sad to say that my 2000 Chevy Astro is getting onto its last legs and GM doesn't make the any more. I bought mine used with 85,000 km off a 4 year lease in 2004. i have to that this has been the longest lasting, least expensive vehicle I have ever owned. Secretly, I think GM stopped making these because they were too reliable. My Astro now has over 270,000 km and I had no problems other than normal wear and tear. I'm still running on my second brake job with the rear drums never having been touched. Tires seem to last forever on the Astro - at least mine do. It still has the original muffler. I' using AMSOil synthetic and I change it every 40,000 km. Sad to see it go....

Can do it all!
By Tim on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This is my second Astro and it is so capable of doing everything. It has a truck frame which allows towing large campers, gets 19 mpg on highway when which is awesome for a AWD van/truck this size. Walks through snow and ice with ease. Strong winds push it around a little on interstate. Finally had to replace something at 119,000 miles, a starter which was very easy to replace myself. Plugs aren't too bad if you pull the front wheel off. Overall we love this (boxy) design, because you sit up so high you can see what's going on in front of you. This van is better than any other minivan we have owned, Mazda, Plymouth, better than our Toyota 4x4 pickup. Great Van, bring it back.

As the tru that cant make a 100,000 mile
By Disconious on 06/02/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

Actually this is my second one, I think they are attractive and the kids loved em. My first was under powered but ran with scheduled maintenance which I had to abandoned due to the expense. Both vehicles ran good until about 70, 000 miles when windows stopped working, slight idle roughness, sliding door had parts fall off and started to rattle, front ac vents stopped working, back door starting clicking and vacum problems with locks and ac vents, ac fan motor, trying to fix all this at the dealer is vehicle suicide.

falling apart
By Joe Horton on 10/12/07 06:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I've put 40000 miles in 3 years since I had it. I must admitt it's a good runner with the 4.3 6cyl. but simple things are going wrong that should not happen. Expect to replace the drivers power window motor cuz everyone I've talk to had a problem. Front and rear air you will have a major leak from front to back. You want your fuel guage to work forget it. How about lights behind the radio just drive when the suns out. I like the dutch doors except for the famous rust under the lift window. And I'M retireed UAW oh well.

No frills, but a great van
By GS on 08/15/07 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 30000 miles on it. Had a few minor issues that first year or so -- power lock failure, etc. No problems since then. With 4 kids, a dog, and a camper, we make full use of the incredible amount of space inside this van. It's one of the few vehicles that can comfortably seat our family, plus two others AND tow. Holds way more stuff than a regular minivan. We've used it to tow our camper (22-ft, 4000 lbs) half way across the country with absolutely no issues - at 100k miles. People are always surprised to see us tow with it. Added a transmission cooler and complete tow pkg. There's nothing fancy about this van, but it's great for a larger, active family.

American Astro quality is unmatched
By UAW Forever on 07/07/07 03:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

I love my Astro, its been the most reliable car I've ever had. American build quality is making waves once again and I'm proud to own this vehicle. Handles great, the 4.3 vortec is bullet-proof and super responsive. You dont have to worry about little problems because the Astro parts while not luxurious are very time-tested.

Bad engine
By Jim on 05/16/06 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

A great all purpose vehicle when it runs right. Unchanged in 20 yrs. like the old VW beatle. Mine "burns" more coolant than oil! Head gasket leaking. Need a new engine after just 74K. Lukas oil treatment no help. Engine hard to service; spark plugs not accessible. Hard to find mechanics who know and understand this vehicle. The front end rebuilt for $1800. Tape deck stolen in Manhattan inspite of security/alarm system. This cargo van was converted to passenger minus the seats--large clear glass (!) windows were cut into the sides. 5- leaf rear springs were added for heavy duty which I recommend! I was thrilled with 18.6 MPG highway recently. But I'm trading it in for a used 2005.

Truck like workhorse
By drumjess2002 on 02/08/06 17:40 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Just bought my van, it is a cargo van used for hauling just about anything. GM just quit making these in 2005, for another SUV-like vehicle[ like there aren't enought of them]..a mistake in my view. My 1st Astro was an '86, ran forever, and I needed a van that could take more cargo capacity than a front drive mini. I plan on driving the wheels off, and it should hold up I think

My Chevy Van
By Surfer on 11/12/05 08:10 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Too many little things have fallen apart. I've got 50K miles on the car and have had to repair the following: - New brakes (I've had three new rotors and pads on the front) - Gas Gauge doesn't work - vacum problems cause the A/C fan not to work - Sliding door doesn't work right - Tons of little pieces have fallen off

Versatile, Reliable, Predictable
By rosco on 07/12/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

I purchased it used with 50,000 km and have added 60,000 km in last two years. It replaced a 1988 with 325,000 km. Great highway vehicle; comfortable, quiet, great visibility, reasonably economical at highway speeds. Great capacity. Easily accommodates up to 8 passengers with full load or a very comfortable vehicle for 6, with all gear + 2 canoes on top. Great clearance in deep snow. With 4 winter tires, this van will navigate 8 inches or more of snow, and is my preferred vehicle for winter driving compared to my car. It's also great in summer for comfortable drives and trips. Downside - the intrusive wheel wells in the passenger compartment. Otherwise, conservative styling, simple clean lines. It looks great.