Used 2000 Chevrolet Astro Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Astro

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

No frills, but a great van
By GS

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 30000 miles on it. Had a few minor issues that first year or so -- power lock failure, etc. No problems since then. With 4 kids, a dog, and a camper, we make full use of the incredible amount of space inside this van. It's one of the few vehicles that can comfortably seat our family, plus two others AND tow. Holds way more stuff than a regular minivan. We've used it to tow our camper (22-ft, 4000 lbs) half way across the country with absolutely no issues - at 100k miles. People are always surprised to see us tow with it. Added a transmission cooler and complete tow pkg. There's nothing fancy about this van, but it's great for a larger, active family.

Favorite Features

Dependability, seating capacity, cargo space, surprisingly large towing capacity, cost to purchase and own

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't really matter. The van has been discontinued.

Truck like workhorse
By drumjess2002

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Just bought my van, it is a cargo van used for hauling just about anything. GM just quit making these in 2005, for another SUV-like vehicle[ like there aren't enought of them]..a mistake in my view. My 1st Astro was an '86, ran forever, and I needed a van that could take more cargo capacity than a front drive mini. I plan on driving the wheels off, and it should hold up I think

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats w/ lumbar, lock out feature so you can't accidently lock your keys in the ignition, overhead light defeat button, reasonable gas mileage, truck like build quality, cheap parts available anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Pot metal exterior door handles, but easy to replace, engine access to real good[ I do my own repairs]..all-in-all good van.

My Chevy Van
By Surfer

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Too many little things have fallen apart. I've got 50K miles on the car and have had to repair the following: - New brakes (I've had three new rotors and pads on the front) - Gas Gauge doesn't work - vacum problems cause the A/C fan not to work - Sliding door doesn't work right - Tons of little pieces have fallen off

Favorite Features

Big car, spacious seating

Suggested Improvements

Build it with better quality

Enough Already
By dellwen

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Although the initial quality was acceptible this vehicle does not hold it's miles well. All maintenence was done on schedule however after 60000 miles the vehicle seemed to be in self destruct mode. Starter, Battery, Water Pump, AC Compressor, Blower Motor, Rear Wheel Bearing, Transmission... This vehicle was the last straw for the big three (GM, Ford, Chrysler) in my book. I never had any issues with my Hyundai and I love my Honda even more. I hate to say it but our Union workers are overated. Abolish the Unions and let's start building decent vehicles here in the USA. Until then Honda has my business. They are over 75% USA or Canadian anyway.

Favorite Features

The Astro van is the last of the Rear wheel drive minivans. The roominess and confort levels are outstanding. It drives with more confidence than it's front wheel drive competitors. Stereo has decent sound quality and reception. Replacement parts are cheep and plentifull.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to improve the reliability of the Astro. Sliding Door becomes mis aligned easily causing shipped paint on the door edges. Cheep 80's style handles break often. Removeable seats are bulky and clumsy to operate. Old styling needs an "Extreme Makeover".

2000 Astro van
By jmns41

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Love to drive it, but internal mechanisms are breaking down...made cheaply.

Favorite Features

Handles well. Very roomy, seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Would love it if it had rear doors on both sides. Door locks, A/C and Heat control dial melted from the dummy light..should these really be made from plastic?