Used 2000 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Good Bye Old Pal
By stevemcp

2000 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

I'm sad to say that my 2000 Chevy Astro is getting onto its last legs and GM doesn't make the any more. I bought mine used with 85,000 km off a 4 year lease in 2004. i have to that this has been the longest lasting, least expensive vehicle I have ever owned. Secretly, I think GM stopped making these because they were too reliable. My Astro now has over 270,000 km and I had no problems other than normal wear and tear. I'm still running on my second brake job with the rear drums never having been touched. Tires seem to last forever on the Astro - at least mine do. It still has the original muffler. I' using AMSOil synthetic and I change it every 40,000 km. Sad to see it go....

Astro's run forever. GM's dealers probably killed this vehicle because they weren't making enough in repairs from it. If you think I'm full of it - keep in mind that new car dealerships make 80% of their money from the shop and less than 20% off new car sales.

Yeah! Retool and start up the line again with the 4.3 engine. GM newer V6 and V8 engines are too unreliable - but of course that's a design feature isn't it.....lol.

Can do it all!
By Tim

2000 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This is my second Astro and it is so capable of doing everything. It has a truck frame which allows towing large campers, gets 19 mpg on highway when which is awesome for a AWD van/truck this size. Walks through snow and ice with ease. Strong winds push it around a little on interstate. Finally had to replace something at 119,000 miles, a starter which was very easy to replace myself. Plugs aren't too bad if you pull the front wheel off. Overall we love this (boxy) design, because you sit up so high you can see what's going on in front of you. This van is better than any other minivan we have owned, Mazda, Plymouth, better than our Toyota 4x4 pickup. Great Van, bring it back.

Driving visibility, AWD, towing capacity and brake booster with the towing package. Seats are very comfortable on long trips. Handles great on curves. Rear A/C and heat. Vortec V6 engine runs for at least 300,000 miles. Remove seats and haul 4x8 sheets. Van feels very safe and solid when driving.

Start manufacturing again with lower gear ratio in overdrive and increase mileage to at least 25 mpg. A little longer front end to access engine compartment better.

As the tru that cant make a 100,000 mile
By Disconious

2000 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

Actually this is my second one, I think they are attractive and the kids loved em. My first was under powered but ran with scheduled maintenance which I had to abandoned due to the expense. Both vehicles ran good until about 70, 000 miles when windows stopped working, slight idle roughness, sliding door had parts fall off and started to rattle, front ac vents stopped working, back door starting clicking and vacum problems with locks and ac vents, ac fan motor, trying to fix all this at the dealer is vehicle suicide.

The truck is attractive and when it was young it was fun for everybody. Good radio, weather temp, great little technical innovations.

falling apart
By Joe Horton

2000 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

I've put 40000 miles in 3 years since I had it. I must admitt it's a good runner with the 4.3 6cyl. but simple things are going wrong that should not happen. Expect to replace the drivers power window motor cuz everyone I've talk to had a problem. Front and rear air you will have a major leak from front to back. You want your fuel guage to work forget it. How about lights behind the radio just drive when the suns out. I like the dutch doors except for the famous rust under the lift window. And I'M retireed UAW oh well.

Great room size for trips. Power to pull some nice toys.

Can't make a power window then go back to crank.

No frills, but a great van
By GS

2000 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Bought this van with 30000 miles on it. Had a few minor issues that first year or so -- power lock failure, etc. No problems since then. With 4 kids, a dog, and a camper, we make full use of the incredible amount of space inside this van. It's one of the few vehicles that can comfortably seat our family, plus two others AND tow. Holds way more stuff than a regular minivan. We've used it to tow our camper (22-ft, 4000 lbs) half way across the country with absolutely no issues - at 100k miles. People are always surprised to see us tow with it. Added a transmission cooler and complete tow pkg. There's nothing fancy about this van, but it's great for a larger, active family.

Dependability, seating capacity, cargo space, surprisingly large towing capacity, cost to purchase and own

Doesn't really matter. The van has been discontinued.