1999 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Review: I love my Astro van!

1999 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Review

LS Passenger Minivan (4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

I love my Astro van!
By Laura on

1999 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This is the 2nd van I have owned - the first being an almost identical 1987 GMC Safari, which I drove for over 200,000 miles. This one has more 'gizmos' and I bought it used in 2001 with about 30,000 m on it - and I use it HARD - it now has about 85000. My 15 yr old son and I are avid boy scout campers, home remodelers and we volunteer with Golden retreiver rescue. I have hauled scouts, dogs and equipment, pulled large trailers over rough dirt roads. We move seats all the time to haul construction material, furniture, anything. The interior has been trashed by kids & dogs with food, mud, trash and dog hair. I keep covers on seats, vaccuum and clean the carpet, and it looks great again.

Reliable - handles well in ice and snow, the engine and major parts are dependable.Cup-holders are removable and go in my dishwasher! bucket seats have great back support. Tinted glass, Rear heat & A/C keep everyone comfortable. loads of space and love the dutch doors. very versatile!

I have noticed in BOTH vans that the little 'gizmos' seem to go first- electric windows and locks the lifts on the dutch doors, back windshield wiper. Oddly - on BOTH vans the float in the gas tank broke leaving me without a gas gauge. 87 had tilt-out back windows-that I prefer over 99's back wiper.