Used 1999 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Astro
By Tom

1999 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Two fuel pumps in 13 months cost me almost $1400.00 since they need to drop the fuel tank. Replace with Delco parts next time. The van has had transmission problems with the way it shifts on long drives. I am having electical problems with overhead lights flickering on and off while driving. various rattles from the van. It does run strong.

Great van
By proudamerican8

1999 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

This vehicle has been a great car. We would be purchasing this vehicle gian if it was made with a driver side sliding door. Great car. Very reliable. Can haul extreme amounts of weight. I pulled a Hi-Lo camper once, handled like a truck when pulling. Plenty of power but poor acceleration. Great family car, I don't know why GM stooped making them. not a good seller because of poor exterior design and advertisement.

Good mileage for an all wheel drive. Best tire wear ever expierienced. Fullsize value for midsize price

Poor brakes, sluggish acceleration. Shifting hesitation. Ugly exterior.

I expected more
By Chris

1999 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

This is my fourth Chevy. I have had two major repairs on this van, both on family trips out of state. Around 20K I had the transmission rebuilt. At 56K I had the alternator replaced twice. Imagine driving across SC and GA on a 90+ degree day with a failing alternator and no a/c. I have had countless problems with cruise control, power locks, windows, mirrors etc. This is with only 62k mileage. This will be my last Chevy until their relability is improved.

It is powerful and a workhorse. I can easily haul 6 adults or 4'x8'pieces of drywall, etc.

Don't buy a car built right before a strike. I put larger tires on it. It didn't behave well in high speed turns. Reliability!!!

I love my Astro van!
By Laura

1999 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This is the 2nd van I have owned - the first being an almost identical 1987 GMC Safari, which I drove for over 200,000 miles. This one has more 'gizmos' and I bought it used in 2001 with about 30,000 m on it - and I use it HARD - it now has about 85000. My 15 yr old son and I are avid boy scout campers, home remodelers and we volunteer with Golden retreiver rescue. I have hauled scouts, dogs and equipment, pulled large trailers over rough dirt roads. We move seats all the time to haul construction material, furniture, anything. The interior has been trashed by kids & dogs with food, mud, trash and dog hair. I keep covers on seats, vaccuum and clean the carpet, and it looks great again.

Reliable - handles well in ice and snow, the engine and major parts are dependable.Cup-holders are removable and go in my dishwasher! bucket seats have great back support. Tinted glass, Rear heat & A/C keep everyone comfortable. loads of space and love the dutch doors. very versatile!

I have noticed in BOTH vans that the little 'gizmos' seem to go first- electric windows and locks the lifts on the dutch doors, back windshield wiper. Oddly - on BOTH vans the float in the gas tank broke leaving me without a gas gauge. 87 had tilt-out back windows-that I prefer over 99's back wiper.

safaris are killer
By sue lu

1999 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

my safari has been so awesome!!I've got over 70K miles without a single problem the only thing i dont like about the van is the front passenger side doesnt have alot of leg room but who cares!!

always starts!!!!!!! its higher than other vans

more leg room on passenger side