Used 1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Best vehicle I ever had
By rufrch

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

I bought mine new in 2000. drove it to eveywhere, San Fran, Sac town, mountains several times, Ariizona, Utah, Las Vegas,.....You get the point. Like all vehicles the key is maintenance. If you take care of your vehicle, it will take care of you. Don't get me wrong it had some hick ups like I changed the alternator, I did a fuel injector swap, changed the fuel pump but other than that. It ran like a top. Never hard to start. I did do some modes. cold air intake, cat back system and after towing like crazy I decided to change rear leaf springs to high capacity leafs springs. I loved that van, and would still have after 14 years but some idiot ran into it while it was parked and totaled it.

I loved how you would sit high so you can see traffic ahead of you. It was great on comfort. 8 poeple comfortibly or 6 really comfortibly. It was pretty good on gas. I was able to fill up the take and go over 400 miles before fill up again. I'm talking highway by the way but on streets it was too bad either. Loved it Loved it.

I wish GM would come out with a newer version of it. Oh make sure you keep the truck style feel to it not a soccer mom SUV type feel. I'd definately by a new one if they were still around.

good van for anything
By dskidds

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

love this van, its a Custom Craft. problems are no locks, keyless entry doesn't work, driver side window motor is a no go, don't have access to the trunk, fuel sender does not work, ne fuel pump put in at 130k, ball joints are going, when it shifts between 1st and 2nd it "jumps, hard shifting" check the fluid and its alright does well in the snow perfect donuts (just once, no more) had this van on many numerous trips its a good van, but it gets 13mpg city and 16 highway, 4.3 Lt. V6 Vortex

custom craft

locks window motors transmission a/c engine vibration

1999 Astro Van
By John Hilger

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought van new and it performed well until it reached 60,000 miles. Then the electric door locks began to fail. The power window motor failed on drivers side. Water pump and and thermostat @ 80,000. 100,000 differential bearings went bad. 119,000 cooling leak around intake manifold gasket. Always maintained van and never abused.

At this point none!

Don't buy G.M. products. They are not designed to last but engineered to fall apart so you will buy another one.

Time to go!
By aimeagle21

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

I have only owned my Astro for about a year now but for the most part it has been very reliable. I bought it used and had to put a new rear end in and now the fuel pump went out. As you may or may not know Chevy has internal fuel pumps that are a complete pain to replace. The only other issue turned out to be that the transfer case fluid needed to be replaced (I thought it was going to be much worse because the front end was binding up in turns). Anyway, these are the only issues I have had and I love the van but I am selling to buy my son (turning 16 soon) a more age appropriate car. I think the van is cool but I am old I guess!

Overhead display, although when I first bought the van this distracted my simple mind causing several altercations with my wife! Rear heat and air for the kids

Better fuel pump design better transfer case fluid some way of keeping rust off the bottom right side of the rear window. I have noticed that about every older Astro has this rust in the same spot.

Great for $8000
By john

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

These vans are very reasonable used. Bought this van at 62K, and have 86K on it now. It has needed an alternator, power steering lines, vacum hose for hvac controls, idler arms,and a front hub. About $3K at dealer cost, I save by doing a lot of the work myself. Yes, the gauges, switches, ect. are typical GM junk, but I love this van. It is a large, tall, spacious, heavy, solid vehicle. The ride is cushy and "van like". People always comment on how huge it is inside (the middle seat taken out gives passengers in back a limo like ride) Let's not forget the AWD. This van goes in the snow unbeleivably well. These vans were designed with utility in mind, and are known to last 150-200k,(change the fluids)

All wheel drive. This van is pretty large and heavy. Drives like good ol' American iron. Huge cargo capacity, good power, power seat.

Very junky gauges and switches. Could use over all refinement. Averages 12.5 mpg according to the trip computer, but again this is a big truckish vehicle