1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
good van for anything
By dskidds on 01/18/11 19:45 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

love this van, its a Custom Craft. problems are no locks, keyless entry doesn't work, driver side window motor is a no go, don't have access to the trunk, fuel sender does not work, ne fuel pump put in at 130k, ball joints are going, when it shifts between 1st and 2nd it "jumps, hard shifting" check the fluid and its alright does well in the snow perfect donuts (just once, no more) had this van on many numerous trips its a good van, but it gets 13mpg city and 16 highway, 4.3 Lt. V6 Vortex

1999 Astro Van
By John Hilger on 12/26/09 14:28 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought van new and it performed well until it reached 60,000 miles. Then the electric door locks began to fail. The power window motor failed on drivers side. Water pump and and thermostat @ 80,000. 100,000 differential bearings went bad. 119,000 cooling leak around intake manifold gasket. Always maintained van and never abused.

Time to go!
By aimeagle21 on 10/29/08 05:14 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

I have only owned my Astro for about a year now but for the most part it has been very reliable. I bought it used and had to put a new rear end in and now the fuel pump went out. As you may or may not know Chevy has internal fuel pumps that are a complete pain to replace. The only other issue turned out to be that the transfer case fluid needed to be replaced (I thought it was going to be much worse because the front end was binding up in turns). Anyway, these are the only issues I have had and I love the van but I am selling to buy my son (turning 16 soon) a more age appropriate car. I think the van is cool but I am old I guess!

Great for $8000
By john on 09/10/06 14:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

These vans are very reasonable used. Bought this van at 62K, and have 86K on it now. It has needed an alternator, power steering lines, vacum hose for hvac controls, idler arms,and a front hub. About $3K at dealer cost, I save by doing a lot of the work myself. Yes, the gauges, switches, ect. are typical GM junk, but I love this van. It is a large, tall, spacious, heavy, solid vehicle. The ride is cushy and "van like". People always comment on how huge it is inside (the middle seat taken out gives passengers in back a limo like ride) Let's not forget the AWD. This van goes in the snow unbeleivably well. These vans were designed with utility in mind, and are known to last 150-200k,(change the fluids)

Astro
By Tom on 08/06/06 15:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Two fuel pumps in 13 months cost me almost $1400.00 since they need to drop the fuel tank. Replace with Delco parts next time. The van has had transmission problems with the way it shifts on long drives. I am having electical problems with overhead lights flickering on and off while driving. various rattles from the van. It does run strong.

Great van
By proudamerican8 on 05/20/06 19:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

This vehicle has been a great car. We would be purchasing this vehicle gian if it was made with a driver side sliding door. Great car. Very reliable. Can haul extreme amounts of weight. I pulled a Hi-Lo camper once, handled like a truck when pulling. Plenty of power but poor acceleration. Great family car, I don't know why GM stooped making them. not a good seller because of poor exterior design and advertisement.

I expected more
By Chris on 03/06/06 20:57 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

This is my fourth Chevy. I have had two major repairs on this van, both on family trips out of state. Around 20K I had the transmission rebuilt. At 56K I had the alternator replaced twice. Imagine driving across SC and GA on a 90+ degree day with a failing alternator and no a/c. I have had countless problems with cruise control, power locks, windows, mirrors etc. This is with only 62k mileage. This will be my last Chevy until their relability is improved.

I love my Astro van!
By Laura on 12/30/05 01:22 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This is the 2nd van I have owned - the first being an almost identical 1987 GMC Safari, which I drove for over 200,000 miles. This one has more 'gizmos' and I bought it used in 2001 with about 30,000 m on it - and I use it HARD - it now has about 85000. My 15 yr old son and I are avid boy scout campers, home remodelers and we volunteer with Golden retreiver rescue. I have hauled scouts, dogs and equipment, pulled large trailers over rough dirt roads. We move seats all the time to haul construction material, furniture, anything. The interior has been trashed by kids & dogs with food, mud, trash and dog hair. I keep covers on seats, vaccuum and clean the carpet, and it looks great again.

safaris are killer
By sue lu on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

my safari has been so awesome!!I've got over 70K miles without a single problem the only thing i dont like about the van is the front passenger side doesnt have alot of leg room but who cares!!

good, reliable car for us
By redhead 749 on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This was our 2nd astro van. This one gave us no trouble. It only had one or two visits to the shop for warranty issues and they were dealt with quickly and easily. These vehicles easily towed our 3 waverunners without ever overheating. A bit slow on a step hill but not bad at all. The car seemed bullet proof. It also spent the last 4 1/2 years hauling band kids and equipment comfortably.My one complaint was it seemed to rattle a lot