Used 1998 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Astro

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Most Helpful|
Astros are iffy
By Clay Bum

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Everything went to hell at 60,000 miles... with me in it! It's been in the shop 6 times in the last two months. Every time I make any money it goes to my mechanic. As soon as I get back from SCI's New Years run I get to get the tranny fixed. Anyone want buy an Astro?

Favorite Features

I can crash in the back after shows.

Suggested Improvements

A better engine and transmission. How 'bout a standard 10 year warrenty.

A lot of brakes
By moms car

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Not a great track record 4 sets of brakes, idle arm replacements, 4 sets of tires, the water pump and now the catalytic converter plus there is no A/C in the back and the kids roast in the summer. Bad gas mileage and an expensive car to maintain. Door handles have broken and the passenger side no longer locks. No more Astros for this mom.

Suggested Improvements

A/C front and back. Better brakes, better mileage, better reliability

What a Farse
By Astrotrash

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This van has been lousy since the get go. At 16,000 miles, it died on the freeway. The catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and fuel pump needed replacing. It has broken down numerous times. The fuel pump has been replaced twice, rear AC twice and on and on and on. The cabin had an unlocated water leak which caused the carpet and padding to saturate and produce mold. GM Customer relations had to be brought in to mediate. After paying for new padding and having it happen again, we finally just removed it and put it back in place when we traded the ridiculous thing in. It rides like a mattress suspended on beach balls. First and LAST GM experience.

Favorite Features

Dutch doors...when the hatch struts don't fail because they're under sized.

Suggested Improvements

GM has had...what, 19 years to "work the bugs out"? Forget it. Junk, junk, junk.

Could be better
By Bertha

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Our '98 Astro seems to always need something fixed. Many of the up-keep has been expensive due to the area of parts on the van. At 115,000 miles, we were told its transmision is on its way out. Great. Would I buy this vehicle again? No way.

Never again
By trimom

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Maybe the dealership sold us a lemon, but we have had problems from day one. We had to replace our tires the first time at under 10,000 miles because we could not keep the alignment in check. This van is on its fourth set of tires and I have lost count of the alignments we have had done. We take good care of our cars as far as preventive maint., but this van has been nothing but trouble. By the way, it only has 49,000 miles on it. Other problems included air conditioning problems. I have rthe safety reviews of this van and it is listed as "poor". My suggestion is if you want a minivan, get a minivan.

Favorite Features

Eight passenger seating

Suggested Improvements

Discontinue it or fix reliability issues