1998 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Could be better
By Bertha on 06/30/06 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Our '98 Astro seems to always need something fixed. Many of the up-keep has been expensive due to the area of parts on the van. At 115,000 miles, we were told its transmision is on its way out. Great. Would I buy this vehicle again? No way.

Great for travel
By asproule on 02/02/06 08:35 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

I have owned this same vehicle for the past 6.5 years. I have taken it on many long distance trips and found it quite exceptional. It is very comfortable and roomy for kids moving about, and for extra storing.

A lot of brakes
By moms car on 04/07/05 21:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Not a great track record 4 sets of brakes, idle arm replacements, 4 sets of tires, the water pump and now the catalytic converter plus there is no A/C in the back and the kids roast in the summer. Bad gas mileage and an expensive car to maintain. Door handles have broken and the passenger side no longer locks. No more Astros for this mom.

maryland
By glen brown on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

braking system is no good

astro left behind
By r2 on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

A very reliable people/thing hauler. Great power from the 4.3. The old solid rear leaf spring made the older van a better ride than the current set-up. This van has a lot more rattles than my previous astro. My major concern is that the value loss is so high. You can buy one cheap but, plan to keep it.

1998 Chevy Astro Mark III van.
By eandrew on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

45000 miles only problem has been battery and wiper blades replaced once, steering alignment once. Still with original Uniroyal tires. 20 mpg highway, good, but would like it better. Two factory recalls for very minor prolems. Have not had typical chevvy things breaking, e.g. window cranks, door knobs, etc, that I have had with chevvies in past years, everything works like it is supposed to.

What a Farse
By Astrotrash on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

This van has been lousy since the get go. At 16,000 miles, it died on the freeway. The catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and fuel pump needed replacing. It has broken down numerous times. The fuel pump has been replaced twice, rear AC twice and on and on and on. The cabin had an unlocated water leak which caused the carpet and padding to saturate and produce mold. GM Customer relations had to be brought in to mediate. After paying for new padding and having it happen again, we finally just removed it and put it back in place when we traded the ridiculous thing in. It rides like a mattress suspended on beach balls. First and LAST GM experience.

Love my Astro
By helloed on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

My Astro is probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Besides a set of tires and a battery, I've never had a problem. It holds lots of stuff, people, or both. And then I can add a trailer. I have a smaller car I can use for road trips, but why? The front seats in the Astro are some of the best captains chairs I've ever sat in! The gas milage is great considering it weighs 2 tons. The best I've gotten is 26(!) MPG. It isn't a sports car by any means, but for a big metal brick, it handles quit well.

Never again
By trimom on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Maybe the dealership sold us a lemon, but we have had problems from day one. We had to replace our tires the first time at under 10,000 miles because we could not keep the alignment in check. This van is on its fourth set of tires and I have lost count of the alignments we have had done. We take good care of our cars as far as preventive maint., but this van has been nothing but trouble. By the way, it only has 49,000 miles on it. Other problems included air conditioning problems. I have rthe safety reviews of this van and it is listed as "poor". My suggestion is if you want a minivan, get a minivan.

Hurrah for Astro and Safari!
By mattagrella on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan