1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Power, Roomines, 23 mpg on trips
By dave8697 on 04/21/07 15:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Owned it 9 years and 102k mi. I didn't expect it to be perfect and it wasn't. It was $18,400 out the door and stickered for $24,800 so I could easily afford the $250 trans repair in year 6 and the $350 rear a/c line repair in year 7. One water pump, one battery, one serp belt. Very reliable. Takes $9 brake pads and $35 tires. Roof rack adds only interior noise.

Long Term Test Drive of 9 yrs, 102k mi
By dave8697 on 04/09/07 12:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

I got lucky compared to some on here. I haven't yet spent $600 on repairs in 9 yrs. Bought new and has been less reliable than my previous Astro in some ways. Transmission needed a $170 repair and rear A/C line is not properly supported, wore a leak and needed $350 repair. Water pump going at 80k not impressive. Battery was defective and died from terminal rot out disease that was designed into it to save a few cents. The trans trouble was from an alum part in place of cast iron that was tried and failed. Interior and paint have held up great. No rattles, fade, or things getting loose. Engine like new. Van was well built and gets 23 mpg on trips. Road handling is a weak spot.

maryland
By glen brown on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

braking system is no good

Hurrah for Astro and Safari!
By mattagrella on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I love these vans.