Used 1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Poor Quality Build - Nightmare Experience
By bosnol

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

Awful build quality - it is too bad since the Astro fits a perfect niche for families with diverse outdoor interests. They made this vehicle out of trash - and it did not help with the dealer contesting every warranty claim. The extended warranty saved us $10k in unexpected, chronic breakdowns. Security Chevrolet in Vista, California, now out of business was the nightmare dealer.

Favorite Features

Design, space, and very decent mileage for a minivan. Also the 2nd and 3rd seats that can be easily removed for cargo duty is great. We loved the product design and flexability for our family needs but hated the constant operational problems. We still have the van since it is paid for.

Suggested Improvements

Overhaul the entire manufacturing assembly line and the parts network as the factory battery, electric window motors, power steering pumps, A/C, transmission, and more all suffered major breakdowns within the first 1--4 years of purchasing it new. Please note; Only the most common problems were listed here in this review.

Family Hauler
By Chevy Fan

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Bought from a frequent traveler with 98K on it. We now have 271K on it. Nothing unexpected - usual replacements of water pump fuel pump, trans rebuild, and so forth. Still no oil consumption. We use on trips for family of 4, plus it served as the "Mom wagon" for several years, racking up 300 miles a week. We are ready to let it go after a long service life. Everything still works. Needs a radiator, uses too much gas at today's prices. We got our money's worth.

Favorite Features

Roomy, capacity for trailering if needed, fuel tank capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, radiator design

I like it
By yakimagal

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

I am getting ready to purchase another car as I have had this one for 10 years. I find I am comparing everything I look at to my Astro. The interior and exterior still look almost new. I have replaced the tires 4 times in 10 years, whatever that means. I love how it handles on wet pavement and snow. With the AWD, I can travel the mountain pass without putting on chains. Compared to my last car, 89 Astro, the handling is so much better. There has been some repair work, but standard stuff as a car ages. Check engine light 3 times in 10 years. The lighting on stereo has burned out but stereo still works well.

Favorite Features

Captains chairs are quite comfortable. I love the AWD, it is now a "must have" on my next car.

Comfort and Size
By dave8697

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Original owner for 9.9 years. Have spent a few hundred to fix rear a/c and a few hundred to fix transmission. A rear bearing seal is leaking, the water pump was replaced, and the original battery spit out a terminal. It is easy on tires and brakes and the replacement battery so far. Took on 900 mile trip this month and got over 21 mpg and had room for everything without it being in your way. Interior has held up excellent, except recliner levers. Still solid, quiet, roomy and economical. You don't want to know the resale value unless you are buying a used one.

Favorite Features

Rear a/c, high seating position, 4 captains chairs, storage space, walk back capability inside. Up to 23 mpg on highway. Engine like new at 109k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Has been in the shop 2 times since out of warranty in 2001, but I have to fix at least one thing every year like tape the sliding door panel down in one corner last year.

Pros and Cons of my Astrovan
By Chev AWD Astro LT

1998 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

I like to drive my Astrovan but it's ride is too rough. It gets 14 miles per gallon which makes it too expensive to drive at today's inflated gas prices. Also it is almost impossible for me alone to remove the 5 rear passenger seats

Favorite Features

It handles well and is very sure footed. It is roomy and the seats are very comfortable. The heater and air conditioner work very.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the lighting on the dash board. Itis hard to see the mileage on the trip especially when the sun is bright.