1998 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Poor Quality Build - Nightmare Experience
By bosnol on 08/28/11 21:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

Awful build quality - it is too bad since the Astro fits a perfect niche for families with diverse outdoor interests. They made this vehicle out of trash - and it did not help with the dealer contesting every warranty claim. The extended warranty saved us $10k in unexpected, chronic breakdowns. Security Chevrolet in Vista, California, now out of business was the nightmare dealer.

Family Hauler
By Chevy Fan on 12/21/08 19:35 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Bought from a frequent traveler with 98K on it. We now have 271K on it. Nothing unexpected - usual replacements of water pump fuel pump, trans rebuild, and so forth. Still no oil consumption. We use on trips for family of 4, plus it served as the "Mom wagon" for several years, racking up 300 miles a week. We are ready to let it go after a long service life. Everything still works. Needs a radiator, uses too much gas at today's prices. We got our money's worth.

I like it
By yakimagal on 06/21/08 07:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

I am getting ready to purchase another car as I have had this one for 10 years. I find I am comparing everything I look at to my Astro. The interior and exterior still look almost new. I have replaced the tires 4 times in 10 years, whatever that means. I love how it handles on wet pavement and snow. With the AWD, I can travel the mountain pass without putting on chains. Compared to my last car, 89 Astro, the handling is so much better. There has been some repair work, but standard stuff as a car ages. Check engine light 3 times in 10 years. The lighting on stereo has burned out but stereo still works well.

Comfort and Size
By dave8697 on 02/25/08 17:53 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Original owner for 9.9 years. Have spent a few hundred to fix rear a/c and a few hundred to fix transmission. A rear bearing seal is leaking, the water pump was replaced, and the original battery spit out a terminal. It is easy on tires and brakes and the replacement battery so far. Took on 900 mile trip this month and got over 21 mpg and had room for everything without it being in your way. Interior has held up excellent, except recliner levers. Still solid, quiet, roomy and economical. You don't want to know the resale value unless you are buying a used one.

Pros and Cons of my Astrovan
By Chev AWD Astro LT on 12/03/07 17:26 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

I like to drive my Astrovan but it's ride is too rough. It gets 14 miles per gallon which makes it too expensive to drive at today's inflated gas prices. Also it is almost impossible for me alone to remove the 5 rear passenger seats

Happy With It
By yoyack on 07/28/07 17:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Bought new and its been very good. Count on the fuel pump going out. Mine did and so did every one in my employers fleet. It's big, comfortable and great on long drives. Power window, water pump and alternator replaced. Never overheated in 115 degree desert heat. Great A/C kept things cool inside. Wife likes this more than the Q45. Would buy again if reliability is as good as imports. Domestics just aren't there yet. Extend the warranty and significantly lower parts prices and I will buy another one. Parts for imports used to be expensive, now domestics are no different.

Power, Roomines, 23 mpg on trips
By dave8697 on 04/21/07 15:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Owned it 9 years and 102k mi. I didn't expect it to be perfect and it wasn't. It was $18,400 out the door and stickered for $24,800 so I could easily afford the $250 trans repair in year 6 and the $350 rear a/c line repair in year 7. One water pump, one battery, one serp belt. Very reliable. Takes $9 brake pads and $35 tires. Roof rack adds only interior noise.

Long Term Test Drive of 9 yrs, 102k mi
By dave8697 on 04/09/07 12:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

I got lucky compared to some on here. I haven't yet spent $600 on repairs in 9 yrs. Bought new and has been less reliable than my previous Astro in some ways. Transmission needed a $170 repair and rear A/C line is not properly supported, wore a leak and needed $350 repair. Water pump going at 80k not impressive. Battery was defective and died from terminal rot out disease that was designed into it to save a few cents. The trans trouble was from an alum part in place of cast iron that was tried and failed. Interior and paint have held up great. No rattles, fade, or things getting loose. Engine like new. Van was well built and gets 23 mpg on trips. Road handling is a weak spot.

Costly Van
By james on 01/30/07 06:04 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

We have owned an Astro since 1999, bought at 2K miles. We have paid for repair after repair since then. Some of the repairs have been for the same thing over and over. If I were to put together all of the repair reciepts, I think the total might even shock us. Watch out for idler arm problems! Again and again- it's just poorly designed. Also, we've had multiple problems with the electrical system, little motors and switches, etc. In contrast, we also own Toyota products, which haven't needed nearly the amount of expensive and redundant repair. Beware!

Mom's Car
By Zip on 08/17/06 09:41 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Reliable. AWD better than 4WD. Never a problem on ice, snow, or in rain. Regularly maintained by dealer. On second set of tires. Only major work was windshield wiper motor at 95k. Sorry to see them go.