Used 1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Astros Rule
By JC

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Our Astro van has served us wonderfully for the last 10 years. Other than a new transmission while still under warrenty it has not had any major problems. It is very powerful(for a minivan), fun to drive and comfortable on long trips.

Favorite Features

The largest of the minivans. It is sad that Chevy has dropped this workhorse from its line up. Double visors that block the sun from both the front and side at the same time.

A Great Vehicle
By gjk5601

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

This van is a truck, not a car, and has the good and bad points of a truck. As a box on wheels, it is great. It hauls lots of people or stuff and tows a heavy trailer. It is nimble in parking lots and comfortable on the highway. It gets 20 mpg at interstate speeds. It is roomy when compared to other minivans and "big" vehicles like Suburbans. I have put 141,000 miles on my 1986 Astro and 147,000 on my 1997. Both have needed transmission and air conditioner rebuild around 90,000 miles. Otherwise, trouble-free. My '97 looks like new and everything works. This van is unique in size and capability. GM should have updated the Astro instead of discontinuing it.

Favorite Features

Roomy inside, but not big on the outside. Good towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Easier seat removal. Reintroduce an updated Astro.

Tough Ol' Gal
By antioch116

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

My 1997 van is approaching the 200k mark and she still rides fine. I've had problems with the following: catalytic converter(twice),fuel gauge stuck on "E" even though I just filled up, driver's window broken, air condt knob broke, rear hutch window doesn't stay up, sliding door stuck, tranny, oh yeah..the "service engine" light stays on even though I've spent over 1k to figure out why, just to name a few. But all in all, it's a pretty good van.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, tough, easy handling, nice view and it's pretty good on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Better A/C system

Astro Van delivers reliability
By Al

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Very pleased with the performance of my 1997 Astro Van. With the rear seats removed, it can hold alot of freight. Great for long trips. A lot of side room for traveling.

Favorite Features

Reliability and functionality

Suggested Improvements

Needs more leg room on passenger side front

daddyronhank - update
By daddyronhank

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

After nearly 4 years I still own this van. Resale value has dropped so it's senseless to sell or trade. Replaced idler arms and factory recall repaired the windshield wipers. Blower motor on AC was replaced but I guess my resistor is bad since the blower does not always work (i.e. when it's very hot or very cold). Cleaning the throttle body intake took care of the sticking gas pedal. 'Just bought a boat so the towing capacity will come in handy. Ride is rough but improved with Michelin Harmony tires. Driver's side power window sticks but stopping it before it goes all the way down seems to reduce the problem. Current brakes have nearly 30K miles but they are due for replacement.

Favorite Features

Creature comforts - 4 captain's seats. Towing capacity. More comfort that a truck but can still pull a load. Excellent in the snow with AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride and gas mileage! Better reliablity.