1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Great Van but died too soon
By jkumpire on 04/17/07 20:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

We purchased this Astro as a conversion in 1990 with 18K. It just died last week when the tranny died at 246K. The Astro was a good van, though after 150K miles it started to suck up money. We had prblems with a fuel pump, one window motor, the paint coming off after 200K miles, and the A/C system and hood latch. It also ran through a lot of tires in its time, but it went over a lot of rough roads too. We got our money out of the thing, the Starcraft conversion was excellent, and the gas mileage was decent for most of its career at 20 mpg. The biggest pain was the well documented vacuum hose problem. The bad rap the Astro got for crash tests and bad production values was not true in out case!

Astros Rule
By JC on 12/30/06 07:02 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Our Astro van has served us wonderfully for the last 10 years. Other than a new transmission while still under warrenty it has not had any major problems. It is very powerful(for a minivan), fun to drive and comfortable on long trips.

Tough Ol' Gal
By antioch116 on 12/23/05 07:58 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

My 1997 van is approaching the 200k mark and she still rides fine. I've had problems with the following: catalytic converter(twice),fuel gauge stuck on "E" even though I just filled up, driver's window broken, air condt knob broke, rear hutch window doesn't stay up, sliding door stuck, tranny, oh yeah..the "service engine" light stays on even though I've spent over 1k to figure out why, just to name a few. But all in all, it's a pretty good van.

ITS A LEMON
By UEBRIGHT3 on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

NOT A GOOD VEHICLE TO OWN. TRANSMISSION WE OUT WITH IN 2 WEEKS. DOORS DO NOT STAY ALIGNED. OVERHEATING PROBLEMS. WAS IN THE SHOP 10 TIMES FOR ALARM SYSTEM. LOST THE ALTERNATOR WITHIN 2 MONTHS. NOT BUILT LIKE A ROCK. WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER ASTRO VAN.

I love this Van
By LMTapia on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I purchased this van with 50,000 miles and now have 184,000 miles and it still runs like new. No slipage in the transmission and no loss of power. I have replaced a few items like water pump and radiator along with 4 brake jobs but at 184,000 miles, not bad at all. This is my second Astro.

Best van for the family
By carl Henry on 06/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I think this is the best comprimise betwen a mini van and a full sized van. This vehicle has always been clasified as a mini van, but I think it fits inbetween. This car is larger than the voyager and can tow much larger loads. This is my second one of these vans I have bought for my family

Astro
By Ian Leigh on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Very poorly made. Falling apart with less than 51000 miles and maintained by the book

Van gets Kudos
By HarvWo on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

I've had this van 2 years, and its the most comfortable, reliable vehicle I've ever had. I'm a big man at nearly 300 lbs with a very bad back. This is the first vehicle I could drive for hours without much stress on my back. Engine is strong, mileage about 20. Problems, heater control knobs are two weak and expensive to replace. Feet are cramped by fender well protruding inside floorboard too much. Classic chevy prob. Large min have difficulty getting comfortable on passenger side. Van rides like a dream. 60 series tires add stability over 75s. Would consider bying another Astro. Family loves it.

TRANSMISSION
By CAROL MONTOYA on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS,MEVERY YEAR, THE ELECTRICAL, GAS PEDAL STICKS, THE TIRES ARE FACTORY ONLY.