1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
What's not to like
By rjerryc on 06/01/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

Of course, there are those who think every vehicle should be custom built to do everything they personally want. They want 50 mpg and capacity to haul the biggest load imaginable. Very good van - built on a truck chassis and the engine has plenty of power to tow a good sized trailer (5,500 lbs). Lots of driver and passenger comforts-armrests, etc. Easy to drive even when towing a big load. It's not a Ford F-350 so don't expect that! Great van, bigger than a mini-van and a lot better.

The Hat Trick Van
By gus loves it on 10/09/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Love these vans, my third one. The 88 went 360,000, 94 AWD still strong at 455,000. I have been told mileage would drop of on these Vortecs, but I just pulled 21mpg on recent trip (8 hrs). Lots of power (190hp?), great reliablity, rides great. I don't know of a better buy for your money. Rides like a car ,hauls like a truck. Wife is confident with AWD. The EXT AWD hugs the road in windy conditions, much better that the 2WD.

Transmission Problems Under 75,000
By Bonnie on 04/28/08 21:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Had 2 transmission repairs under warranty at 75 and 80,000. I don't think the dealership fixed it properly, because had to be assertive, and now it has lasted another 225,000 without problems. Had trouble with dealer trying to get out of warranty for transmission and throttle body, saying it is because we didn't have oil changes at GM and used our own serviceman (had regular oil changes every 2500 elsewhere). Dealer said transmissions must be overhauled every 15,000 or would void warranty and said that brakes needed doing at 7500 then didn't put enough brake fluid in and they failed after the repair. After warranty over have been very satisfied with van. Love van except front leg room.

Loved it, hated to get rid of it
By Chase Franklin on 06/23/07 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan AWD

We have put more trips and miles into this van than any other we've ever owned. Being a travel hockey family whose player is a goalie, this van has held all four of us and on more than one occaision three additional players, all our gear and clothes. Fantastic room. It has performed equally well in summer travel as well as traveling the snow storms and rain in the upper midwest. We never felt that we had to pull over and sit a night somewhere due to a winter storm. If you are looking for a quality used vehicle - this it!

Great Van but died too soon
By jkumpire on 04/17/07 20:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

We purchased this Astro as a conversion in 1990 with 18K. It just died last week when the tranny died at 246K. The Astro was a good van, though after 150K miles it started to suck up money. We had prblems with a fuel pump, one window motor, the paint coming off after 200K miles, and the A/C system and hood latch. It also ran through a lot of tires in its time, but it went over a lot of rough roads too. We got our money out of the thing, the Starcraft conversion was excellent, and the gas mileage was decent for most of its career at 20 mpg. The biggest pain was the well documented vacuum hose problem. The bad rap the Astro got for crash tests and bad production values was not true in out case!

Astros Rule
By JC on 12/30/06 07:02 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Our Astro van has served us wonderfully for the last 10 years. Other than a new transmission while still under warrenty it has not had any major problems. It is very powerful(for a minivan), fun to drive and comfortable on long trips.

A Great Vehicle
By gjk5601 on 08/31/06 04:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

This van is a truck, not a car, and has the good and bad points of a truck. As a box on wheels, it is great. It hauls lots of people or stuff and tows a heavy trailer. It is nimble in parking lots and comfortable on the highway. It gets 20 mpg at interstate speeds. It is roomy when compared to other minivans and "big" vehicles like Suburbans. I have put 141,000 miles on my 1986 Astro and 147,000 on my 1997. Both have needed transmission and air conditioner rebuild around 90,000 miles. Otherwise, trouble-free. My '97 looks like new and everything works. This van is unique in size and capability. GM should have updated the Astro instead of discontinuing it.

Tough Ol' Gal
By antioch116 on 12/23/05 07:58 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

My 1997 van is approaching the 200k mark and she still rides fine. I've had problems with the following: catalytic converter(twice),fuel gauge stuck on "E" even though I just filled up, driver's window broken, air condt knob broke, rear hutch window doesn't stay up, sliding door stuck, tranny, oh yeah..the "service engine" light stays on even though I've spent over 1k to figure out why, just to name a few. But all in all, it's a pretty good van.

Astro Van delivers reliability
By Al on 09/28/05 23:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

Very pleased with the performance of my 1997 Astro Van. With the rear seats removed, it can hold alot of freight. Great for long trips. A lot of side room for traveling.

daddyronhank - update
By daddyronhank on 07/28/05 07:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan AWD

After nearly 4 years I still own this van. Resale value has dropped so it's senseless to sell or trade. Replaced idler arms and factory recall repaired the windshield wipers. Blower motor on AC was replaced but I guess my resistor is bad since the blower does not always work (i.e. when it's very hot or very cold). Cleaning the throttle body intake took care of the sticking gas pedal. 'Just bought a boat so the towing capacity will come in handy. Ride is rough but improved with Michelin Harmony tires. Driver's side power window sticks but stopping it before it goes all the way down seems to reduce the problem. Current brakes have nearly 30K miles but they are due for replacement.