Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Most Helpful|
Way too many problems
By Hemst

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Bought new in 1996, first major problems began after 40K (after weak warranty) and put well over $2k in it by 54k miles. Over the years, it faired OK but broke down at the worst times, and cost plenty each time. Thank God for AAA. From 100k -111K miles, I just put over $6,300 bucks into it, you name it, engine work galore, trans, etc. Too bad for the poor quality in the mechanical aspect, it has great functionality.

Favorite Features

Perfect size, mid-size van, better than typical small minivans, not obscenely large like full-size vans. I have a conversion Astro, which was loaded with good stuff, too.

Suggested Improvements

Should have been free of such expensive problems since it has been around since 1985. They should consider dual sliders, but I still would never buy an Astro van again.

Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

Favorite Features

Power enough to haul a tent trailer

Suggested Improvements

I cannot keep it to only 300 words

Worst Vehicle we have ever owned!
By Elby62

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

We paid $10,000 for this in 2002 and it had 50,000 miles on it. For the price and mileage you would expect a decent vehicle. However this van broke down constantly. It has cost us thousands extra in repairs, including a new transmission. Broke down out of state leaving us stranded hundreds of miles from home. Twice. Don't buy this van! A bad, bad, bad vehicle. Horrible experience to own. The torsion bar broke on it, twice. Same thing happened to my friend. The torsion bar broke while I was driving on a crowded interstate at 70mph, on a bridge, with no place to pull over. All my children were in the van. We are lucky that I did not panic and that we didn't wreck. Horrible!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of it.

Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Favorite Features

Feels like a big truck!

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Chevy needs to stop making vehicles with substandard parts.

terrible van
By deathgrip72

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.