1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
dependable van
By Coop2 on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

I bought this used with 85000 and i dont drive it alot but it has flawless. The vehicle that has never let me down unlike the voyager SE. Still has the original gm battery. Milage could be better but not in a big van. Avg about 22 on trips only about 3 less that the voyager. LOts O Room I use it to haul music equipment. Dont play on every doing any repairs myself as the engene is very unaccessble as the dog house would have to me removed

'96 Astro Extened 8 pass. 1/12/2003
By Indian on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

139,000 mi on this van,stil runs excellent all maintenance performed by owner,great family hauler/traveler,17/22 MPG replaced engine seals,timing chain,oil cooler lines and all brake componets exc.brake lines at approx.120,000 mi.,water pump tensioner pulley at 90,000 mi.,major tune-up at 100,000 mi.including o2 sensors,two previous minor brake jobs at 45,000 and 70,000 mi. window motors replaced 100,000 mi.,fuel pump replaced, 75,000 mi.,other than too many brake jobs this has been a very reliable van,no rust yet and is operated in northwest Ohio.

Way too many problems
By Hemst on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Bought new in 1996, first major problems began after 40K (after weak warranty) and put well over $2k in it by 54k miles. Over the years, it faired OK but broke down at the worst times, and cost plenty each time. Thank God for AAA. From 100k -111K miles, I just put over $6,300 bucks into it, you name it, engine work galore, trans, etc. Too bad for the poor quality in the mechanical aspect, it has great functionality.

Always driveable, seldom reliable
By sendaibob on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

The engine and transmission have been great. After 100,000 miles, the engine runs smoothly, and doesn't burn any oil. The motors for the power windows go out regularly, The sensors for the ABS system are also not reliable. The body has been solid. After 100,000 miles, still very few rattles.

I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN!
By MIMI66 on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

FOR THE MONEY I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN! I HAVE ALL THAT SPACE THAT OTHERS DONT AND ITS NOT TO BIG OR TO SMALL! I DRIVE MY VAN EVERYDAY TO TAKE THE KIDS TO SCHOOL AND BALLGAMES AND ERRANDS IT DOES FINE!!!

Busch96Astrovan
By Kustov on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Since 1996, we used van for 8 trips of ~3200 miles from Edmonton Alberta to Las Vegas. W/ two exceptions we took the van off the road in the U.S., using it for normal city driving only in Canada. Nearly 50% of the mileage comes from eight return trips on expressways. The van's maintenance record is available: Tires ~8900 miles; brakes replaced ~3 years ago, air-conditioning, rear hydraulic lift, front end alignment and other completed 2001. The windshield has a crack, and there are several scratches and dimples on its "autumn brown" rust-free exterior.

Nickel and Dimed
By kshea on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

Every year new irritating problems with this vehicle. I got sick of fixing them and now they've really piled up. Broken power windows, broken wiper motor, growling transmission, broken A/C (for three years), high speed on heater fan, tailgate handle/latch,...it goes on. Too bad for all of the problems' cause it has great potential. It's bigger than the mini's and smaller than the full sized vans. can fit a full sized piece of plywood and close all ofthe doors. I wish it was more reliable,....I would've bought another. BUT NO!