Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Good for a larger family
By Familyof6

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Although we had read pretty bad reviews about the Astro in Consumer Reports, we have had great luck with ours. We didn't have many options in choosing a minivan since we needed something that could tow our boat, and the Astro is the only one other than GMC Safari that can handle it. We have a number of repairs, two of them pricey, but the extended warranty we bought at Carmax covered everything. Overall, this has been a great van for our family of 4 kids with room to spare for friends to come along. We found ours to be worth the price. If anything, the low CR rating makes a used Astro very affordable.

8 passenger seating is a huge bonus -- not many minivans can seat more than 7. Also, the towing capacity is great since it allows us to tow our boat or borrow our friend's camper.

Rear (3rd) seat legroom is a little tight. This wasn't a problem when our kids were smaller, but as they are hitting the teen years, it's a little cramped (but extremely spacious compared to any SUV with a 3rd seat!)

Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

Power enough to haul a tent trailer

I cannot keep it to only 300 words

transmission
By poohbear12

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

So far the astro van has been pretty good for our family. It has helped us move 2 times. The interior is very roomy. The only bad part has been the transmission. It has gone out on me once already and seems like it is getting ready to do it again. Luckily I do have a warranty on the repairs done. Also I have replaced the 02 sensors twice.

Interior is spacious.

More legroom in front seat and adjust climate control (drivers side can get too hot or cold)

Good for the long haul
By Sherry B.

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan AWD

Excellent for the duration...my 2nd Astro, and better than the 1st '87 model. Gas mileage is about 18/gal city, but is a great family vehicle. Has lasted well.

Roomy interior, long lasting upholstery wears well, handles awesome in the snow. Very dependable, never failed to start in 6 years. Low maintenance.

More leg room for front passenger. Armrest vinyl cracks, rear seat fold down mechanism breaks. Slider door gets jammed. Rear doors catch wind and fly all the way open hitting brake lights, denting doors-need some sort of strap to limit opening distance.

terrible van
By deathgrip72

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.