Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro Base Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

11 year old Astro van w/ 135k miles
By Kalei Baker

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

My friend gave this van to me 12 months ago, it had to be towed 3 times and it took about $900+ of repairs to keep it running. Ignition coil burned out = $280 repair. Spark plug wire shorted out = $190 repair. Fuel pump failed = $420 repair. Any repairs under the hood will be high labor due to the design that makes it difficult to access (via panel between passenger and driver leg area. The passenger exterior door handle broke off. When it runs, the 4.0L engine is moderately powerful. At 11 years old and 135k miles, repairs should be expected. I am selling the van, ASAP. I am much more satisfied with my Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo diesel, which can also seat 8.

The seats are comfortable. Vehicle handles well for a mini-van.

What can I say, it is GM quality. I prefer Ford quality, especially with SUV and trucks on Super Duty platform.

dependable van
By Coop2

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought this used with 85000 and i dont drive it alot but it has flawless. The vehicle that has never let me down unlike the voyager SE. Still has the original gm battery. Milage could be better but not in a big van. Avg about 22 on trips only about 3 less that the voyager. LOts O Room I use it to haul music equipment. Dont play on every doing any repairs myself as the engene is very unaccessble as the dog house would have to me removed

Lots o room. Good power. dependable

gets dings very easy. Motor is buried in under dash so unaccessable.

'96 Astro Extened 8 pass. 1/12/2003
By Indian

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

139,000 mi on this van,stil runs excellent all maintenance performed by owner,great family hauler/traveler,17/22 MPG replaced engine seals,timing chain,oil cooler lines and all brake componets exc.brake lines at approx.120,000 mi.,water pump tensioner pulley at 90,000 mi.,major tune-up at 100,000 mi.including o2 sensors,two previous minor brake jobs at 45,000 and 70,000 mi. window motors replaced 100,000 mi.,fuel pump replaced, 75,000 mi.,other than too many brake jobs this has been a very reliable van,no rust yet and is operated in northwest Ohio.

Reliable,comfortable seats for long distance trips,just the right size for every day use,lots of room.

Better/larger brakes

Way too many problems
By Hemst

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Bought new in 1996, first major problems began after 40K (after weak warranty) and put well over $2k in it by 54k miles. Over the years, it faired OK but broke down at the worst times, and cost plenty each time. Thank God for AAA. From 100k -111K miles, I just put over $6,300 bucks into it, you name it, engine work galore, trans, etc. Too bad for the poor quality in the mechanical aspect, it has great functionality.

Perfect size, mid-size van, better than typical small minivans, not obscenely large like full-size vans. I have a conversion Astro, which was loaded with good stuff, too.

Should have been free of such expensive problems since it has been around since 1985. They should consider dual sliders, but I still would never buy an Astro van again.

Always driveable, seldom reliable
By sendaibob

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

The engine and transmission have been great. After 100,000 miles, the engine runs smoothly, and doesn't burn any oil. The motors for the power windows go out regularly, The sensors for the ABS system are also not reliable. The body has been solid. After 100,000 miles, still very few rattles.