1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi on 01/13/09 19:57 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Good for a larger family
By Familyof6 on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Although we had read pretty bad reviews about the Astro in Consumer Reports, we have had great luck with ours. We didn't have many options in choosing a minivan since we needed something that could tow our boat, and the Astro is the only one other than GMC Safari that can handle it. We have a number of repairs, two of them pricey, but the extended warranty we bought at Carmax covered everything. Overall, this has been a great van for our family of 4 kids with room to spare for friends to come along. We found ours to be worth the price. If anything, the low CR rating makes a used Astro very affordable.

Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

terrible van
By deathgrip72 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.

I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN!
By MIMI66 on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

FOR THE MONEY I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN! I HAVE ALL THAT SPACE THAT OTHERS DONT AND ITS NOT TO BIG OR TO SMALL! I DRIVE MY VAN EVERYDAY TO TAKE THE KIDS TO SCHOOL AND BALLGAMES AND ERRANDS IT DOES FINE!!!

Busch96Astrovan
By Kustov on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Since 1996, we used van for 8 trips of ~3200 miles from Edmonton Alberta to Las Vegas. W/ two exceptions we took the van off the road in the U.S., using it for normal city driving only in Canada. Nearly 50% of the mileage comes from eight return trips on expressways. The van's maintenance record is available: Tires ~8900 miles; brakes replaced ~3 years ago, air-conditioning, rear hydraulic lift, front end alignment and other completed 2001. The windshield has a crack, and there are several scratches and dimples on its "autumn brown" rust-free exterior.