Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro LS Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Favorite Features

Feels like a big truck!

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Chevy needs to stop making vehicles with substandard parts.

Good for a larger family
By Familyof6

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

Although we had read pretty bad reviews about the Astro in Consumer Reports, we have had great luck with ours. We didn't have many options in choosing a minivan since we needed something that could tow our boat, and the Astro is the only one other than GMC Safari that can handle it. We have a number of repairs, two of them pricey, but the extended warranty we bought at Carmax covered everything. Overall, this has been a great van for our family of 4 kids with room to spare for friends to come along. We found ours to be worth the price. If anything, the low CR rating makes a used Astro very affordable.

Favorite Features

8 passenger seating is a huge bonus -- not many minivans can seat more than 7. Also, the towing capacity is great since it allows us to tow our boat or borrow our friend's camper.

Suggested Improvements

Rear (3rd) seat legroom is a little tight. This wasn't a problem when our kids were smaller, but as they are hitting the teen years, it's a little cramped (but extremely spacious compared to any SUV with a 3rd seat!)

Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

Favorite Features

Power enough to haul a tent trailer

Suggested Improvements

I cannot keep it to only 300 words

terrible van
By deathgrip72

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.

I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN!
By MIMI66

1996 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LS 3dr Minivan

FOR THE MONEY I WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OTHER MINI VAN! I HAVE ALL THAT SPACE THAT OTHERS DONT AND ITS NOT TO BIG OR TO SMALL! I DRIVE MY VAN EVERYDAY TO TAKE THE KIDS TO SCHOOL AND BALLGAMES AND ERRANDS IT DOES FINE!!!

Favorite Features

INTERIOR SPACE! ALL OF THE COMPARTMENTS TO ORAGANIZE OUR JUNK!

Suggested Improvements

BETTER GAS MILEAGE IN THE MOUNTAINS! LOL!AND I DO WISH I HAD THE DUTCH DOORS INSTEAD OF THE DOUBLE BACK DOORS! MY HUSBAND HATES THE BAR DOWN THE MIDDLE WHEN HE IS TRYING TO DRIVE!