Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Most Helpful|
Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

Favorite Features

Power enough to haul a tent trailer

Suggested Improvements

I cannot keep it to only 300 words

Worst Vehicle we have ever owned!
By Elby62

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

We paid $10,000 for this in 2002 and it had 50,000 miles on it. For the price and mileage you would expect a decent vehicle. However this van broke down constantly. It has cost us thousands extra in repairs, including a new transmission. Broke down out of state leaving us stranded hundreds of miles from home. Twice. Don't buy this van! A bad, bad, bad vehicle. Horrible experience to own. The torsion bar broke on it, twice. Same thing happened to my friend. The torsion bar broke while I was driving on a crowded interstate at 70mph, on a bridge, with no place to pull over. All my children were in the van. We are lucky that I did not panic and that we didn't wreck. Horrible!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of it.

Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Favorite Features

Feels like a big truck!

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Chevy needs to stop making vehicles with substandard parts.

11 year old Astro van w/ 135k miles
By Kalei Baker

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

My friend gave this van to me 12 months ago, it had to be towed 3 times and it took about $900+ of repairs to keep it running. Ignition coil burned out = $280 repair. Spark plug wire shorted out = $190 repair. Fuel pump failed = $420 repair. Any repairs under the hood will be high labor due to the design that makes it difficult to access (via panel between passenger and driver leg area. The passenger exterior door handle broke off. When it runs, the 4.0L engine is moderately powerful. At 11 years old and 135k miles, repairs should be expected. I am selling the van, ASAP. I am much more satisfied with my Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo diesel, which can also seat 8.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable. Vehicle handles well for a mini-van.

Suggested Improvements

What can I say, it is GM quality. I prefer Ford quality, especially with SUV and trucks on Super Duty platform.

terrible van
By deathgrip72

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.