Used 1996 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

good van
By billy97477

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

217,000 miles and still runs great. a lot less problems than I would expect for a vehicle with so many miles. Good for camping. Can fit a cot and ice chest in the van comfortably. Rear cigarette lighter jack is good for my dvd player while camping. So is the rear heat that heats up pretty fast on the coldest of nights. With no seats in my quad even fits in it. Awd works still and does great in the snow and mud.

Tons of room. Great gas mileage for what it is. Awd is awesome for handling in the snow. Easy to change oil yourself.

engine is hard to work on but doesn't need it very much at all.

Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Feels like a big truck!

Everything. Chevy needs to stop making vehicles with substandard parts.

11 year old Astro van w/ 135k miles
By Kalei Baker

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

My friend gave this van to me 12 months ago, it had to be towed 3 times and it took about $900+ of repairs to keep it running. Ignition coil burned out = $280 repair. Spark plug wire shorted out = $190 repair. Fuel pump failed = $420 repair. Any repairs under the hood will be high labor due to the design that makes it difficult to access (via panel between passenger and driver leg area. The passenger exterior door handle broke off. When it runs, the 4.0L engine is moderately powerful. At 11 years old and 135k miles, repairs should be expected. I am selling the van, ASAP. I am much more satisfied with my Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo diesel, which can also seat 8.

The seats are comfortable. Vehicle handles well for a mini-van.

What can I say, it is GM quality. I prefer Ford quality, especially with SUV and trucks on Super Duty platform.

Worst Vehicle we have ever owned!
By Elby62

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

We paid $10,000 for this in 2002 and it had 50,000 miles on it. For the price and mileage you would expect a decent vehicle. However this van broke down constantly. It has cost us thousands extra in repairs, including a new transmission. Broke down out of state leaving us stranded hundreds of miles from home. Twice. Don't buy this van! A bad, bad, bad vehicle. Horrible experience to own. The torsion bar broke on it, twice. Same thing happened to my friend. The torsion bar broke while I was driving on a crowded interstate at 70mph, on a bridge, with no place to pull over. All my children were in the van. We are lucky that I did not panic and that we didn't wreck. Horrible!

None

Get rid of it.

Lots of room.
By thedriver

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

We purchased an Astro AWD because we needed a 4WD and a van. The van drives well in slippery conditions. We have had it in the garage several times for fuel, tranny and brake problems. Our Astro has several engine oil leaks.

We love the AWD. The interior is spacious and comfortable.

GM should work on reliability with this van.