1996 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

1996 Astro Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
good van
By billy97477

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

217,000 miles and still runs great. a lot less problems than I would expect for a vehicle with so many miles. Good for camping. Can fit a cot and ice chest in the van comfortably. Rear cigarette lighter jack is good for my dvd player while camping. So is the rear heat that heats up pretty fast on the coldest of nights. With no seats in my quad even fits in it. Awd works still and does great in the snow and mud.

Favorite Features

Tons of room. Great gas mileage for what it is. Awd is awesome for handling in the snow. Easy to change oil yourself.

Suggested Improvements

engine is hard to work on but doesn't need it very much at all.

Clear free of this lemon!
By Heidi

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This van has been nothing but a money pit from the day we bought it used. We have had to replace the water pump, full transmission, repair AC, CV joints on front end, muffler fell off, battery, alternator and starter (all in the last three years). The driver side door hinge is falling off and the windows does not work. Horribly noisy on the inside. Save your money for a Toyota!

Favorite Features

Feels like a big truck!

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Chevy needs to stop making vehicles with substandard parts.

11 year old Astro van w/ 135k miles
By Kalei Baker

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

My friend gave this van to me 12 months ago, it had to be towed 3 times and it took about $900+ of repairs to keep it running. Ignition coil burned out = $280 repair. Spark plug wire shorted out = $190 repair. Fuel pump failed = $420 repair. Any repairs under the hood will be high labor due to the design that makes it difficult to access (via panel between passenger and driver leg area. The passenger exterior door handle broke off. When it runs, the 4.0L engine is moderately powerful. At 11 years old and 135k miles, repairs should be expected. I am selling the van, ASAP. I am much more satisfied with my Ford Excursion with 7.3L turbo diesel, which can also seat 8.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable. Vehicle handles well for a mini-van.

Suggested Improvements

What can I say, it is GM quality. I prefer Ford quality, especially with SUV and trucks on Super Duty platform.

Worst Vehicle we have ever owned!
By Elby62

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan AWD

We paid $10,000 for this in 2002 and it had 50,000 miles on it. For the price and mileage you would expect a decent vehicle. However this van broke down constantly. It has cost us thousands extra in repairs, including a new transmission. Broke down out of state leaving us stranded hundreds of miles from home. Twice. Don't buy this van! A bad, bad, bad vehicle. Horrible experience to own. The torsion bar broke on it, twice. Same thing happened to my friend. The torsion bar broke while I was driving on a crowded interstate at 70mph, on a bridge, with no place to pull over. All my children were in the van. We are lucky that I did not panic and that we didn't wreck. Horrible!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of it.

Lots of room.
By thedriver

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan AWD

We purchased an Astro AWD because we needed a 4WD and a van. The van drives well in slippery conditions. We have had it in the garage several times for fuel, tranny and brake problems. Our Astro has several engine oil leaks.

Favorite Features

We love the AWD. The interior is spacious and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

GM should work on reliability with this van.

Good for a larger family
By Familyof6

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

Although we had read pretty bad reviews about the Astro in Consumer Reports, we have had great luck with ours. We didn't have many options in choosing a minivan since we needed something that could tow our boat, and the Astro is the only one other than GMC Safari that can handle it. We have a number of repairs, two of them pricey, but the extended warranty we bought at Carmax covered everything. Overall, this has been a great van for our family of 4 kids with room to spare for friends to come along. We found ours to be worth the price. If anything, the low CR rating makes a used Astro very affordable.

Favorite Features

8 passenger seating is a huge bonus -- not many minivans can seat more than 7. Also, the towing capacity is great since it allows us to tow our boat or borrow our friend's camper.

Suggested Improvements

Rear (3rd) seat legroom is a little tight. This wasn't a problem when our kids were smaller, but as they are hitting the teen years, it's a little cramped (but extremely spacious compared to any SUV with a 3rd seat!)

Steaming grey pile of garbage
By gohm

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

From day one, the van has ben nickle and diming us to death. We could not claim lemon because they were all different problems. We have only 54K on it, and we have replaced alternator, wiper motor and need a new A/C compressor, driver's door window motor, transmission and everything on the motor that has oil in it has a leak. I would not tell my worst enemy to buy one of these peices of junk.

Favorite Features

Power enough to haul a tent trailer

Suggested Improvements

I cannot keep it to only 300 words

transmission
By poohbear12

1996 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Minivan

So far the astro van has been pretty good for our family. It has helped us move 2 times. The interior is very roomy. The only bad part has been the transmission. It has gone out on me once already and seems like it is getting ready to do it again. Luckily I do have a warranty on the repairs done. Also I have replaced the 02 sensors twice.

Favorite Features

Interior is spacious.

Suggested Improvements

More legroom in front seat and adjust climate control (drivers side can get too hot or cold)

Good for the long haul
By Sherry B.

1996 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan AWD

Excellent for the duration...my 2nd Astro, and better than the 1st '87 model. Gas mileage is about 18/gal city, but is a great family vehicle. Has lasted well.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, long lasting upholstery wears well, handles awesome in the snow. Very dependable, never failed to start in 6 years. Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for front passenger. Armrest vinyl cracks, rear seat fold down mechanism breaks. Slider door gets jammed. Rear doors catch wind and fly all the way open hitting brake lights, denting doors-need some sort of strap to limit opening distance.

terrible van
By deathgrip72

1996 Chevrolet Astro LS 3dr Minivan

This is an awful vehicle. Everything breaks and need replacing within the first few years. Every conceivable notor and drive mechanism wears out prematurely. It drives like a tank, does not haus particularly well, and gets lousy mileage. I would steer anyone I talk to to away from this vehicle. In fact, I have never heard of anyone who actually likes this van or would replace an old one with a new one.