1995 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Review: Good hauler but nickeled and d

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Review

Good hauler but nickeled and dimed to death
By jbaggins on

1995 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan AWD

We bought the '95 in 2004 for $4000. It had A/C, AWD and seating for 8. We had just had our 4th child so needed something that could seat 6 so that threw out most of the cars from the equation. I loved this van but it started to cost money and working under the hood was a real pain due to the engine compartment being so small and the "dog house" in the interior having to be removed to work on anything. Mechanics automatically charge more to work on these types of vehicle since there is a lot of effort to gain access to the parts that need to be replaced. Luckily, I could do a lot of the work my self. For the 5 years we owned it, I put about $1000-1500 each year into it.

Lots of power, lots of room, cool even without A/C due to angle of windows, great hauling capacity and winter traction with AWD. Excellent driving position.

Serious lack of convenience features. Almost no console storage, it has ash trays for all the kids (not cup holders-what were they thinkging). Only one sliding door, only driver and passenger windows that open other than a crack. Abysmal gas mileage. Poor handling on rough roads. No room for feet for driver or passenger due to van configuration.