1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
Good hauler but nickeled and dimed to death
By jbaggins on 07/22/12 09:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan AWD

We bought the '95 in 2004 for $4000. It had A/C, AWD and seating for 8. We had just had our 4th child so needed something that could seat 6 so that threw out most of the cars from the equation. I loved this van but it started to cost money and working under the hood was a real pain due to the engine compartment being so small and the "dog house" in the interior having to be removed to work on anything. Mechanics automatically charge more to work on these types of vehicle since there is a lot of effort to gain access to the parts that need to be replaced. Luckily, I could do a lot of the work my self. For the 5 years we owned it, I put about $1000-1500 each year into it.

Love that Chevy
By MATT on 08/06/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CS 3dr Minivan

For a van it has major power, with a rwd transmission (700r4) and a 4.3 L 262 Chevrolet v6 you have to respect this van. And only Chevrolet can deliver a vehicle with great performance and ride comfort. Horse rating at 190; mine has a little more due to some engine work; and torque at 262, this van out performs tons of v6's, some v8's, and a 4 cylinder won't come close to this van's power, great van built by the best motor company ever. Love that Chevy!

10 pretty good years
By dad_the_fixer on 01/28/10 16:53 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

This has been the 'family truckster' for the past 10 years and 90K miles, and has pulled a camper 1/2 across the country, and has hauled the family on many long (13 hour drive) trips. Only let us down twice - once for a fuel pump (managed to get it going, no tow needed) and once with a cooling system blowout. Now, at 200K miles, it's got headgasket problems (maybe it's had those for a while now) ready to retire it.

1995 Astro AWD LT
By Nate on 10/14/09 20:08 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan AWD

Bought the Luxury Touring addition with all the extras and have been very glad we did. The astro appealed to us because it offered better cargo space, better payload, and had better ground clearance. Most minivans just cant do what an astro can. We have had great luck 185,000 miles and only an alternator and window motor. and brakes and tires of course. The all wheel drive works great in all conditions. The one thing you have to watch for with these is the dutch doors. We have also bought a 97 and they both sucked water under the carpet via the plastic thresh hold. But the only way you know is by reaching under the carpet because there's a rubber backing keeping the water from coming through.

A great car, if you can handle the mpg
By Endre on 06/13/08 21:59 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

I can't say enough about how good this van has been for me. It has an engine that is snappier than V-8s,when it's only a V-6. At 16-18 mpg it's not very economical, but very good for a van and excellent for the performance it delivers. It has hauled kids, motorcycles, lumber, brush, furniture, rocks and has always, always handled the load with competence, and cleaned up very well afterward. The rear bench seats can be removed in under 3 minutes bu 1 person, leaving enough floor space for an 4x8 sheet of plywood, and using the between-the- seat space I've gotten 11.5-foot things in there. If you can handle the mpg, get this van!

95 Astro van
By dougp on 04/26/08 17:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan LT 3dr Minivan

The motor and transmission are rock solid, everything else has broken and had to be fixed, I mean everything- 4 alternators, radiator, rear end, starter, ac blower motor, electric window motors (both), thermostat, waterpump, ac compressor, and about 12 more things that I have forgotten, I have never had a car that was this crappy- but does have a good motor and trans. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the worst front end on any vehicle ever made it eats idler arms and tie rod ends. Other than that it is ok.

Great van!
By Cindy Collins on 11/02/07 18:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Very dependable van! Motor and transmission strong no problems. We have driven this van to California, Colorado and Missouri with no problems. Would drive it anywhere. Only flaws I would say would be the lack of front passenger leg room and door handles (have 2 Astro's and replaced handles on both of them) Our one van has 186000 miles on it and still runs great! Highly recommend this vehicle!

The best van ever!
By Jose L Rodriguez on 04/15/07 05:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

It has nice performance and very good reliability. Will recomend to everyone.

A Brick
By Leifage on 12/26/06 11:40 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan AWD

This has been our family car since 2001 and we've been very pleased. It has over 160k miles and shows no sign of quitting.

1995 Astro Van CS Extended
By Kim on 04/16/06 16:57 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CS 3dr Minivan

I bought this van new in 1995 after having two Chrysler "Magic Wagons." The Astro has lots more room, more power, has been much more reliable, and uses no more fuel than my 1993 Grande Voyager did. The only downside is that it is on a truck chassis, so ride and handling is more truck-like than the Chrysler product. The Astro and Safari have taken an undeserved bad rap from some auto mags-just because of the fuel economy-but I have 276,000km on mine, many owners report in excess of 500,000km and still running strong. My two Chrysler vans were falling apart within two years. The Astro has been a much better purchase.