Used 1993 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

1993 Chevrolet Astro

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

DON'T DO IT!
By goodlife

1993 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Ext Minivan

Terrible terrible terrible! Wish I'd researched a little more before purchasing! Granted, a 1993 can't be expected to be stellar. That said, I didn't know a used car could be this awful! My Subaru with 260,000 miles has always run like a champ with routine oil changes and a few small things here and there, so I assumed I would be as lucky with this van. Not so! It only has 140,000 miles, purchased with 133,000. I've already put thousands into it and just trying to get rid of it now.

Fine van
By blinky

1993 Chevrolet Astro LT 3dr Ext Minivan

I rescued this astro van ext from the yard of my neighbor after he died. It was not driven for three years. I replaced two freeze plugs changed the oil cleaned her up and put it on the road. It drives and handles great. Here's the kicker, it has 260,956 miles and can out run my 1993 Toyota corolla. I love this van.

Best Vehicle Ever Owned
By Calanthe42

1993 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Minivan

This little truck has 165,000 now and the only major money ever spent was when the A/C went out (while towing a U-haul). All I have ever had to do is regular oil changes and maintenance. Dependable to a fault. This truck made 10 trips hauling trailers between Atlanta and New Orleans after Katrina. My house was a total loss but the Astro was something I could depend on. Unless you have ever been in that position, you have no idea how important such dependability is. I would strike out across country in this without a worry. I will keep this until the wheels fall off...and then buy new wheels.

Favorite Features

Dependability

Suggested Improvements

Agree with another poster. The cup holders are compromised by an overhang. Only coffee sized cups will fit under it.

Please Die, I wan't a newer one!
By Jim

1993 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought because kids were fighting in car and needed more cargo space. Will tow anything, have taken seats out and put a cord of firewood, 30 sheets of plywood, dirtbikes, snowblower, appliances, you name it for the cottage. Will get 25 mpg at 60mph, one set of tires, brakes, shocks, and a muffler in 70,000 miles. Started outright dying on me 3 years ago, (got very excited) but only turned out to be a $11 pulse generator in the distributor. Sounds like a stagecoach on rough roads. I am trying to kill it by not changing the oil, 20,000 miles have gone by, why won't it die? I really wan't to buy a newer AWD model, but this one is worth nothing to trade in.I would buy again in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Reliabilty, simplicity, great fuel economy for a big towing vehicle, seats 8, cheap to buy.

Suggested Improvements

More sound insulation, better attachment and cushioning of interior parts

Awesome Van!
By Mel

1993 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Ext Minivan

This is my 2nd Astro both have been great! This one now has 200,000 miles and going strong. Typical minor repairs have been done over the years. Nothing out of the ordinary. Hubby's NEW car has had more repairs in 1yr than mine has had in 5! I get great mileage too on this van. about 24 on the highway 19 in town.

Favorite Features

Love the way it handles/drives. Size is perfect for what I use it for. Love the rear AC. Also love the dependability of this van!

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders.