1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:
good van
By brad on 12/07/09 18:11 PM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Ext Minivan

I have this van for over 8 years, I bought it with 160,000 miles on it tranny went out at 245,000 same with fuel pump alternator went out at 250,000 I drove this van till 600,000 on thrid tranny had a few minor problems, I sold it to buy one with less mileage, my friend bought this van and has been driving it for two years

I Love It!
By dpullen on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

very dependable, roomy, ice cold air conditioner, rear seats remove easily but are a little heavy, gets 20-22 mpg on highway, controls on dash are laid out very well, good engine power, smooth ride, driver's seat adjusts well for shorter drivers, cruise control works well, only had two problems: occasionally blows radio fuse and side door occasionally locks on its own causing the door to bounce open when you try to shut it (this van does not have power locks - a body shop man showed me how to trip the lock mechanism, unlock it, and thus make it shut).

ASTRO Love
By David Rosa on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Ext Minivan

Our Astro proved highly function for our family. Camping, Towing, travel across the country, cargo mover. The 4.3L engine was just right. The size is excellent, most mini vans are really to small. My duaghter is about to inherit the Astro van as her first car. I do wish general motors would take the details a more seriously. This was the 1st year they built the passenger EXT version and the rear heater had to be disconnected about the 5th yr of ownership.

solid van
By Dan. h on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

The astro has been very good to us.We live in Canada and our winters can be harsh and it still works great .Its on its 2nd motor but what can you expect with over 450 000 kms on it .It feels solid when you drive it not like the other mini vans and the rear wheel drive uses time proven technology .We love it and would buy another .

Rating the 1990 Chevy Astro Minivan
By Marjuvan on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

At 98000 miles the hydraulic control system for the ABS malfunctioned with an estimated repairs of $2500. At 120000 miles the automatic transmission is slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear and the recommended replacement of a rebuilt transmission would cost $3500. Exterior paint has been gradually peeling off at less than 8 years old.

My Astro Van
By JJones3 on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan AWD

I have driven my Astro since I bought it new in 1990. Drove it on a trip the next day for 1500 miles and have loved this van ever since. I now have 193,000 miles on it and have only done routine mechanical for it. AWD has saved my bacon a few times. It now gets about 22 to 24 miles to the gallon on the hwy so I just can't let go of it.

The best value!!!
By Marge Williams on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Ext Minivan

I bought my Astro new. The biggest repair I have ever had on the van was the locks failing. All I have had to do is normal repairs. The back door just failed last year at 185,000 miles. I havent had it fixed. It almost has 200,000 miles on it and I still has get up and go. It doesnt run like it has 198,500 miles on it. I'm looking at getting a newer one.

Good van
By J.C. on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

I have had my Astro for 8 years now. It has been a really great car. I bought it reconditioned after a wreck, and it still has been great. This year it burned a valve in the head of the engine and is running rougher; however, my father likes it so much he said he'll keep it and put in a newer engine.

Good van
By j.c. on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan 3dr Minivan

Love my Astro
By Bev Burger on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Astro Minivan CL 3dr Minivan AWD

I bought my Astro new off the lot with 40 miles on it. I now have over 221,000 miles on it. I have traveled all over the U.S. in my van, I pull a 1968, 16ft camper with it, it takes me up to the ski resorts in the winter and drives me on the beach at the ocean. I love my van. Even if I get something else to drive I plan to keep my little van.