Used 1990 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Astro - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Most Helpful|
Rating the 1990 Chevy Astro Minivan
By Marjuvan

1990 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Minivan

At 98000 miles the hydraulic control system for the ABS malfunctioned with an estimated repairs of $2500. At 120000 miles the automatic transmission is slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear and the recommended replacement of a rebuilt transmission would cost $3500. Exterior paint has been gradually peeling off at less than 8 years old.

Favorite Features

Cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Exterior paint

good van
By brad

1990 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Ext Minivan

I have this van for over 8 years, I bought it with 160,000 miles on it tranny went out at 245,000 same with fuel pump alternator went out at 250,000 I drove this van till 600,000 on thrid tranny had a few minor problems, I sold it to buy one with less mileage, my friend bought this van and has been driving it for two years

Favorite Features

ok on gas and power good engine still strong at 600,000

Suggested Improvements

trannys only last about 240,000

ASTRO Love
By David Rosa

1990 Chevrolet Astro CL 3dr Ext Minivan

Our Astro proved highly function for our family. Camping, Towing, travel across the country, cargo mover. The 4.3L engine was just right. The size is excellent, most mini vans are really to small. My duaghter is about to inherit the Astro van as her first car. I do wish general motors would take the details a more seriously. This was the 1st year they built the passenger EXT version and the rear heater had to be disconnected about the 5th yr of ownership.

Favorite Features

Interior Room, removeable bench seats, height of vehicle, rear heater, 4.3L engine, ground clearance. This a right sixed vehicle for Families everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Real commitment to interior details and control switches so that they last for ten years. headlights that actually light up the road with low beam. Rear bench should be extremely easy to remove. Fog lamps could use better protection.

Good van
By J.C.

1990 Chevrolet Astro 3dr Minivan

I have had my Astro for 8 years now. It has been a really great car. I bought it reconditioned after a wreck, and it still has been great. This year it burned a valve in the head of the engine and is running rougher; however, my father likes it so much he said he'll keep it and put in a newer engine.

Favorite Features

I like the space for hauling people or stuff. I also like the go-power in the engine.

Suggested Improvements

The door handles are coming off on two of the doors. (I have a friend who had the same problem with one of his astro doors.) So, better handles would be an improvement.

Good van